Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Countdown Begins

Seems unbelievable how fast the time flies!  9 days left and counting before the start of Bike Across Kansas.  Lots yet to do--but these next two days will be devoted to finishing cleaning up my classroom at school and the tons of paperwork that seem to go along with ANY job these days.


On the subject of school and being a teacher who likes to ride a bike...................


It's been so much fun, as I have ridden my training miles, to run into students from school who were also out on their bikes.  I've even had the chance to ride alongside them for a mile or two.  It was always so interesting to visit with them away from the school setting.  The very kids that I've sometimes found challenging on the inside of the school building turned out to be absolutely delightful to visit with as we rode bikes together.  Sometimes I think that as a teacher, I have forgotten what it was like to be a kid.  So to those students who reminded me of that, I offer a 'humble thank you".  


Yesterday, on the very last day of school, I was given one more opportunity to be reminded of that very thing.  After the last bell had sounded and all the kids had left, I was taking stuff to my truck.  Out of nowhere, a young man on a bike, yelled out my name.  It was a 6th grader, the first one that I had met when I came to teach here in October.  We have had our share of "butting heads" times together this year.  But through it all, we managed to get along with one another and develop a mutual respect.  He just wanted to tell me good-bye and hadn't been able to find me until just that moment.  We didn't say too much to one another.....didn't have to.  Both of us were about ready to cry so I just said, "hey, meet me on the bike path sometime, ok?"  He mumbled an "ok".  I told him that he'd better be prepared because I could outride him any day (LOL) and he got the biggest smile on his face and said, "We'll just see about that Mrs. Miller."  The things we learn from the youth--and the greatest thing is this.....We all were their age once and how soon we do forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment