Sunday, May 29, 2011

Safety concerns

OK, it was bound to happen and I'm kind of glad that it happened today....least wise I don't have to worry about it now!  I had my first spill of the riding season.  And, wouldn't you know, it when I was standing still and the bike wasn't even moving!  :)  You know how "egos" are...if we have to fall off a bike, then just don't let it be when we aren't even moving!  lol  But it happened and I did learn a good lesson from it.  I was at the end of a 10 mile ride on the path and had just stopped long enough to get a drink.  When the wheels stopped turning, I took off my helmet because it needed to be readjusted.  I started to get off the bike when one foot got caught up in the toe clip and the real "icing on the cake" was that my short little leg had a whole lot of trouble lifting up over the back carrier rack.  It was not a pretty picture-Peggy, flat on her back with the bike laying right on top.  Of course, vain as I can be sometimes, the first thing I did was to see if anyone was looking.  Whew!  Everyone was still sleeping in!  I came away with just wounded pride and one little scrape on my arm.  But I did learn a couple of really good lessons.  (keep that helmet on until the very last second, watch out for those toe clips, and make really sure to be aware of where you are parked--I had stopped on an uneven surface, a recipe for disaster every time!) For one brief moment, I hesitated getting back on the bike....kind of like when you have your first "fender-bender" and you are not sure if you want to ever drive again!  But when you are still 5 miles from home and a bike is the only thing that will get you there--you might just as well get back on and ride home.  I made it!


BAK organizers stress the importance of being safe as we travel along.  With well over 900 riders heading eastward across the state, it's the only smart way to travel.  Wearing a helmet, cycling gloves, protective eye wear are necessities.....in fact, "no brainers".  And I am going to admit, right here in front of everyone, that this spring I got in the very bad habit of going without a helmet.  I know it was not the smart thing to do....in fact, one of my students noticed it and brought it to my attention.  Just one more humbling experience for this teacher.  Rest assured, I have one and will be wearing it forever and ever more...Amen!  Off to ride once again today...and yes, I have my helmet on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment