Tuesday, May 24, 2011

S.J.B.E.

Many people have asked me what the initials, "S.J.B.E." stand for on the sleeves of my BAK t-shirts.  The letters are the acronym of my favorite song by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.  In 1969, Stephen Stills wrote the song "Suite:  Judy Blue Eyes" about his breakup with Judy Collins.  It was a song originally performed at Woodstock.  I always loved it and consider it a classic among all CSNY songs.  Realizing, of course, that the younger generation of family and friends cannot even identify with this song or the group.  But if you are of my of my generation, then it will sound familiar.    


I recently bought an MP3 player and joined the rest of the "techno-savvy" people who have owned them for years now.  I loaded it up with music from my generation (the'70s) and now enjoy listening to CSNY,  the Moody Blues, Harry Chapin, Dan Seals, Peter, Paul and Mary and a host of others as I ride my bike.  I'm hoping that it will help pass the time that it takes to go 475 miles.  


Music's power always amazes me.  It can take the most "downtrodden" of souls and lift them up again.  It can make a labor seem not so bad after all.  And why is it that I can remember the words of songs I knew from 40 years ago and not remember where I put my car keys on any given day?  Never has made any sense to me....csny

No comments:

Post a Comment