Friday, July 15, 2011

it's just a part of "the plan"

Five words that you don't really like to hear Morris Yoder say when starting the engine of his airplane-"Now that doesn't sound good."

Last night was to be my very first flight in a light sport airplane.   My good friend, Morris Yoder, had arranged for me to get to go up with him and travel to the Gypsum Hills area of southwestern Kansas.  It would have been a 90 minute flight in the Kansas skies and I was really looking forward to it.  

When I got there, I found Morris with a disgusted look on his face.  He said that as he was readying the plane he had found the battery to be dead and was in the process of recharging it.  We'd be a little later getting in the air, but all should be just fine.  So we waited.

Hey, I figure IF you are going to have problems with an airplane, the best place to have them is ON the ground, not off.  I have 100 percent trust in Morris and didn't worry a bit.  While we waited, Morris took my picture (below) so I could keep it in my "Bucket List" scrapbook.  

My first ever flight in a light sport aircraft-Skyview Power Parachuting  July 14, 2011

Shortly after the picture was taken, we climbed in the aircraft, buckled in, and kept our "fingers crossed" that the battery had taken the hour long charge.  And that's where Morris uttered those 5 dreaded words as he turned the switch on, "Now that doesn't sound good."  

The battery never turned over, and Morris being the very smart pilot that he is said that it looked liked we would have to do it another time.  Although it was disappointing to both of us, I figure it was for the best.  You know, you never really know why things happen as they do-it's just a part of "the plan."  

As I drove back into town and headed towards home, I came to the realization that something very good came out of this "non"-event.  For the first time in "forever", I wasn't afraid to climb into a plane.  What a relief to realize that!  I had allowed myself to be "tucked into" a very tiny, light sport airplane and I didn't even have to have a panic attack.  I believe there IS hope for me to sometime in the future get on an airplane again.  So nieces and nephews, be ready--for someday your Aunt Peggy will show up on your doorstep when you least expect me!  :)  OK, I'll probably call first.  

This "bucket list" idea has provided yet one more benefit.  I've learned that some of the weird fears that I have held onto for so many years really can be conquered after all.  Because I love life and have recently figured out that it's actually pretty nice after all,  I will always be careful.  That I can promise you.  

Keep life in perspective today on this Friday, July 15th friends.  
Love your friends and family-hang onto one another.  
Wishing for peace to be our journey today.





No comments:

Post a Comment