Thursday, July 28, 2011

Remembering from where I came....

50 years ago, that "sainted" lady in the photo above was both teacher and momma to a group of 29 kindergarten kids that went to school every day at Burrton Grade School.  Mrs. Jo Marmont loved her students and claimed them as her OWN kids to anyone who asked her.  She adored us and we loved her as well.  


As I work through the Miller Bucket List, especially Item #9, "to connect with family members all over the U.S." I am soberly reminded of the fact that many people who were not my "blood relation" had a huge hand in my upbringing.  Mrs. Jo Marmont was one of those people. 


I remember her as this beautiful woman who wore shiny red fingernail polish and ruby red lipstick to school each day.  I'm pretty positive that she wore high heels with silk stockings and the most beautiful dresses that you could imagine.  I remember her taking a liking to me and it seemed like wherever she was in the classroom, little Peggy Scott would not be far  behind.  


By the way, have you located me yet in the photo?  If not, just keep in mind that I was even shorter then than I am now so if I were you, I'd try the front row.  Just keep moving over to the right until you locate that little kid with curly hair....see her, the one with the teacher's hand lovingly holding her dress collar?  Yes, that's the one...that would be me!


May I ask you to consider something this day?  Who had a hand in helping bring you up in this world?  Was there a kind teacher, just like Jo Marmont in your life?  Or, perhaps the neighbors living next door, you know, the ones with 12 kids of their own yet they always seemed to have the room to fit one or two more at the supper table?  Or grandmas and grandpas, the aunts and uncles, your school bus driver, the Sunday School teacher, the mean old lady on the corner who really loved you but you just thought she was grouchy?  And the list goes on and on and on.  Wow, you were really blessed weren't you?  And so was I.     


When all of our family "re-connects" this weekend in Haven, you can be sure that we will be sharing hours and hours of conversation about all of those folks from our past that have helped in the "raising up" of the children of John and Lois Scott.  The stories that we tell can get a little "embellished" from time to time, but that's what makes them fun to listen to.  If "laughter is the best medicine" then none of us should be visiting the doctor's office any time too soon.  Since we 5 remaining Scott kids range in age from 53-70 now, that is just an added bonus!


Jo Marmont is long gone now.  I wish I could have told her a few things then but I had to wait until now to understand them.  So Mrs. Marmont, this final message is for you....


To my very dear Mrs. Marmont,


Oh, how I wish to thank you for the wonderful kindergarten experience you gave to me and the 28 other kids that were in our classroom.  You took such exceptionally good care of us and taught us so many life lessons that year.  And the amazing thing is, you did it all single-handedly....no classroom aide to help you, no computer gadgets to make your job so much easier.  And as far as we kids knew, you never once complained.


It might surprise you to know that I, too, became a teacher Mrs. Marmont.  The classroom has changed a thousand times over in the last half-century and some of the differences, well, I don't think you'd approve of.  But what will NEVER CHANGE is the love of a teacher for her students.  Thank you for instilling that love in me in order that I was able to "pay it forward" to another generation of learners.


I will remember  you always and in that remembrance, may I be half of the teacher that you were Jo Marmont.  Save me a seat in the kindergarten area up there!  I'll look forward to seeing you again one day.


Love,


Peggy Scott

1 comment:

  1. Peggy, I also attended Burrton Grade School, but would have been in Mrs. Marmont's class in 1961-62. I had Hyla Bacon as my first grade teacher as well. In doing some searching for one of my most memorable teachers, Mrs. Bacon, I came across your blog. We moved away from Burrton after my first grade year (my dad was a high school teacher and coach there) but your blog brought back wonderful memories. I also became a teacher and know that Mrs. Bacon was a part of that decision.

    ReplyDelete