Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Miller Bucket List-Item #6....to connect with every facebook friend this year and buy them something to drink



If you ever should be feeling sorry for yourself for what you have or haven't got in this world, just take a minute to count all of the great people in life who call you their friend and you'll soon wonder what you were ever complaining about!  Saying "thank you" to my Facebook friends who have continued to help me on the Miller Bucket List Item #6.....


It has been kind of nice to learn as I have gotten older, that sisters can indeed turn out to be your friends in life.  I was blessed with 4 sisters and this past weekend I was able to "touch base" with two of them that I no longer see very often.  They are pictured below.


This is me in the middle with my oldest sister, Kaye Wright of Sarasota, Florida to the left in the photo.  My other sister, Sherry St. Clair of Altus, Oklahoma  is on the right.  I've been their "little sister" for nearly 56 years now.  We also have an even "littler" sister, Cindy Daniels who lives here in Hutch.  Another sister, Janice, died in 1969.


These two big sisters of mine do a pretty good job in "worrying and watching over" their little sister.  And that's just fine with me!  Hey, they still love me and want only the best for me so I am very grateful for that. 


 We had a great time visiting with one another during our recent family reunion.  We did lots of cool things but maybe the most unexpected was getting Kaye signed up to be on Facebook.  She was our last "holdout" but not any longer.  Isn't it amazing that at the "click of a mouse" you can be in contact with people thousands of miles away and visit with them as if they were in the very next room!  I love technology!




My 3 sisters and I.....Cindy, Sherry, and Kaye-July 30, 2011 at home here in Hutch.




I have been blessed with friends from so many different walks of life.  From 2006-2010, I worked as a CNA at the Wheaton House on the campus of Mennonite Manor, here in South Hutchinson.  While I worked there, I met my very special friend, Anita Schmidt.  


Anita worked the overnight shift and so she was the first one I saw when I came on duty at 7 in the morning.  This is what I have to say about Anita-IF YOU EVER HAD AN ELDERLY FAMILY MEMBER LIVING IN LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES, YOU COULD ONLY HOPE THAT ANITA WOULD BE THE ONE TO TAKE CARE OF THEM!  Anita loves the elderly and has a gigantic heart filled with a lot of compassion for older folks.  


I guess it would be fair to say that Anita and I also loved the same man.....It couldn't be helped, this gentleman was such a dear one to both of us.


Here he is!  Our dear and special friend, Marion Barton Barnett who both Anita and I loved and enjoyed taking care of.  He left us and went to his Heavenly home in 2008 but both of us have fond memories of his living at the Wheaton House!


Anita  is still taking care of the elderly and enjoying every minute of it. They become a special part of her "extended" family.  And at Anita's home, there is ALWAYS going to be room for one more person to sit at the table.  Thanks for all you do for folks Anita!  You are one special lady!




This is my very good friend, Anita Schmidt and I.  Don't find much nicer than this wonderful woman.



Hey, I want you to meet Ella....my newest and youngest Facebook friend.  Ella and I have known each other for all of her young life.  When I first met her she was just a "kid" but now she's grown into an almost 2nd grader!  We shared 3 weeks together this summer in July at Summer Scholars, the USD 308 summer school program.  I admire Ella's "spunk" and zest for life.  If you want to feel like a kid again, just spend some time with Ella.  She brings a smile to my face every time I see her.  We old people (and I'm talking about me) just grow up too fast!




Last but not least....I was able to catch up with these two facebook friends at our recent family reunion.  They were wonderful house guests as well.


Scott Wright, my nephew from Florida, and his wife, Lisa were here in Kansas for the past 4 days.  We took time on Friday to visit the old "stomping grounds" of the Scott Family over in Halstead.  We were intrigued by the creepy old swinging bridge in Riverside Park there in Halstead.  We used that bridge as a place to take our photos together.


  IF you are as old as me, or even older.....you might remember the movie called "Picnic".  It was filmed there many years ago.  One of the famous scenes was shot from that bridge and I can still remember seeing a beautiful and stunning Kim Novak on a swan shaped float coming down the Little Arkansas River.  Every year when that movie came on TV, it was a Scott Family tradition to sit down and watch it....no matter how many times you might have already seen it.  Didn't matter-every time was special.


So glad to have seen Scott for the first time since 1982 and to meet Lisa for the first time.  Even though we hadn't been together in almost 30 years, we just picked right up where we left off-didn't seem to matter.  Thanks to those two "kids" for bringing my sister here on their 3,000 mile round-trip journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment