Friday, September 9, 2011

"A 10-year old boy's spirit"

Hoping not to sound like a broken record here and if I've said this once, then I've said it a thousand times..there is a reason for every single thing that happens to us here in this life-all a part of the plan. For me, the "saving grace" for everything I have gone through thus far is that some really nice things have happened to me in the past 5 weeks--not everything has been bad!  I'd love to tell you about one of those very nice things right now.


It's been quite a long "spell" since a nice, young gentleman brought me flowers to school.  Wednesday of this week that "floral drought" was broken and I was the recipient of the beautiful bouquet of flowers shown above.  They were personally delivered by a 10-year old who shares some things in common with me-the most obvious, a broken arm.  Please meet my new young friend, Darin Mitzner, a 4th grader at South Hutchinson Elementary.  




Darin's grandmother, Brenda, works with me at Lincoln Elementary and one day, a couple of weeks back, she told me about her grandson (Darin) getting hurt in an accident.  He had been having a great time playing on "inflatables" at a local business and unfortunately took a tumble from one of them.  For Darin, the end result was a broken growth plate and fractured humerus, not so lucky for him, in his right arm.  


Well you guys all know how much of a challenge it is for a 55-year old in a cast.  But I'm beginning to learn it can be equally frustrating to a 4th grader as well.  In the short period of time that I've known Darin, it's obvious to me that he is one active boy.  His current physical state isn't conducive to doing all of the fun stuff that young boys like to do.  No running, no tubing at the lake, no biking, no pe either.  Ouch, that's GOT to sting a bit!  Yet Darin seems to take it all in stride. He will be returning to his doctor soon to find out what further treatment is needed-perhaps surgery but hopefully not.  One thing about youthful bodies-they tend to repair themselves rather quickly and before you know it, guys like Darin are right back in the business of being a 10-year old!


We had a great visit, Darin and I, this afternoon at his home.  We commiserated about not being able to tie our shoes or get our casts wet! Darin needed help with daily activities like dressing and showering, just like me.  Found out that he, too, lacks patience and would prefer to be healed up by "yesterday" already!  Hey, he's definitely my kind of kid.  It won't be long, that I'm sure of, before he's ready to tackle life head on, once again.  Ahh, the spirit of a 10-year old.


One thing we agreed on, when our "time out" is finished and we are pronounced healed by those way smarter than us-both Darin and I plan to return to the activities that sidelined us in the first place.   Our accidents were just that-accidental.  Neither of us woke up one morning, intentionally thinking we wanted to be injured.  It's just the way life went for us on those given days.  And, we just need to go on from there.  And as quick as that young man seems to be, I'm going to have to "step it up"a couple of thousand notches if I'm going to EVER keep up with him!


Good luck at the doctor today Darin and speedy recovery!  So glad to have met you!






                                                The Mitzner Brothers-Darin and Kodi















No comments:

Post a Comment