Sunday, September 4, 2011

crossing paths

He was the first kid I met at school last October when I returned to teaching and he was the last kid I said "good-bye" to as the final bell rang on the last day of school in May.  A lot happened between us in the short span of 8 months--some of it good and some, well not that good.  We "butted heads" more times than I care to remember-sometimes because HE wouldn't listen and an equally good share of the time it was because I chose not to listen either.  The road definitely went both ways here.  As a teacher, I should have known better on my part.


Over the course of the school year, both of us started actually gaining some decent respect for the other.  Even though on occasion we still butted heads with one another, those times became fewer and farther between.  More often than not, he'd check in with me in the morning to let me know how school was going, what subjects were giving him trouble.  And, I would wave to him after school each night as he sped off towards home on his bike.  


One late afternoon in the spring as I was putting in training miles for this past June's Bike Across Kansas, I heard a kid's voice screaming at me from behind..."Hey, teacher, wait up!"  I looked back on the path and there he was, pedaling as fast as his little legs could take him.  He caught up with me and for the next 5 miles, we rode together having the time of our lives. We talked about everything BUT school and it was so fun!  I never forgot it.  The love of bicycling was our "common ground" and it was at that "common ground" that we met that day.  The 5 miles ended too quickly and we each headed in opposite directions towards home.  


On the last day of school, I wanted to "touch base" with him, to wish him luck for the next school year as a 7th grader, but he was nowhere to be found.  I figured that in the excitement of the moment he'd already hightailed it out of there and I wouldn't see him again.  But as I headed to my truck with a load of my stuff, I heard that familiar voice shouting to me "Hey teacher, wait up!:


I looked down the street and there he was...pedaling his bike like there was no tomorrow and heading my way.  He'd missed seeing me too and was heading back to find me.  We talked a little about summer plans and I reminded him about how proud I was of him.  You know we didn't have to say very much-but we said ENOUGH.  Before either of us started to cry, we said our good-byes.  I hollered at him as he got back on his bike that we should meet at the bike path again sometime soon and to be prepared to be out ridden by his teacher!  :)  He just laughed and said "We'll see about that."


Over 3 months have passed since that "chance" after-school meeting and I had not seen him since. Yesterday afternoon I went out to the hospital to walk the "underground" mile in the tunnel.  As I pulled up to the emergency room entrance, I caught a glimpse of a guy who had a similar problem as me-his left arm was in a cast, the arm in a sling.  I thought, "Man, do I ever feel your pain!" Walking alongside his "abuelo", there HE was!  Now it was my turn to shout out, "Hey-wait a minute!"


He turned around with the biggest grin I'd ever seen on his face.  We met halfway in the middle and talked as if only 3 hours had passed, not 3 months!  He didn't realize that I'd been hurt-and when I explained what happened, he had the strangest expression on his face.  It was kind of a combination  of~"a congratulatory for at LEAST TRYING to jump the curb way to go, oops that wasn't good, sorry that happened".  His brown eyes and my blue ones were twinkling by the end of the conversation and I dare say that both of us had the biggest grins on our faces in a long time.  I believe that little 7th grader is going to make it just fine!


I believe everything that happens to us each day is all a part of "the plan" for our lives.  I know of no other way to explain it.  I had just been thinking of that kid earlier this week at school.  I certainly didn't head out to the hospital in order that I might run into him-I went to walk.  But I am grateful for the blessing and the wonderful affirmation of knowing that my young friend is hanging in there and "holding his own" in the world of middle-school.


 Friends, may I ask a favor of you this morning?  The world is full of kids, just like my young friend.  They come from every imaginable situation that you can fathom...and sad to say, many are from situations that NO ONE will ever understand.  You can peer into any classroom of ANY school and find more than one student who desperately needs you to be their "ally".  Usually it's pretty apparent as to which ones do need someone to intervene on their behalf...yet keep in mind there are others who slip by us, silently wishing someone would notice that they too could use a mentor.  Here's the favor part--please keep your eyes open for that special kid (just like my 7th grade friend) who may be looking for someone just like you.  Consider being their mentor-even if for small amounts of time.  That child will be blessed-and so will you!

No comments:

Post a Comment