Sunday, October 2, 2011

forward progress

 Things are looking up friends.....as of today, Oct. 2nd, 2011-


The palm of "old lefty" is still numb, perpetually asleep from the August 4th accident.  Only the thumb and middle finger (Lucky) are awake fully.  I still can't flip my left hand over to a "palm up" position and may never be able to.  Trying to wear a watch on my left wrist would be impossible, to say the least.  And good thing I don't wear a ring on my left hand, because that would not be happening either.  The swelling is still there and I swear sometimes that it swells even more on certain days.  The pink brace remains in place and I'm guaranteed at least one or two days a week of some pretty intense physical therapy from Kim at Kansas Orthopaedic Center.  That guy has hands like a pair of vice-grips and he's not afraid to use them in such a manner either!  


But even with remembering the stuff that isn't quite back to normal yet...I have made some pretty good strides in my recovery.  I'm able to put on my own clasp necklace and take it off again at the end of the day.  My shoes can be tied, my hair can be combed.  I can wash my hair on my own again, however it does often feel like two different people are doing the washing.  That is a freaky feeling, I have to admit.  "Old lefty" washes the top part of my head and the right hand finishes up the job.  But it gets done!  I can crack an egg with two hands now....No more having to crack eggs one-handed and going through 6 eggs to make a 2 egg omelet.  I can fold all my clothes on my own and the linen closet is returning to its normal organized self.  Ironing clothes is a little tricky, but I'm gaining on it and know that I'll figure it out too.  I can drive with two hands once again and have finally figured out how to wash my truck at the car wash.  I'm getting better.


Yesterday wasn't so good for me-I had started to get a little discouraged.  After a while, I figured it might be just as easy to give up and be glad for what little use I did get back.  Yesterday, I didn't care if I EVER  did any more physical therapy.  And today, well today wasn't a whole lot better......that is until I saw Darin.


Do you remember my post about Darin?  He's my new friend, 10-years old, with something in common with me.  We both have broken arms and we both are ready for this to be all taken care of, three weeks ago already!  I had a chance to catch up with Darin and his brother Kodi at their grandparents' house this afternoon.  He doesn't know it, but our visit provided me with the incentive to keep on trying at least until there's nothing left to try.


Here's our photo from over 3 weeks ago now.  We both were in pretty rough shape at the time.




"Old lefty" was still tucked safely inside my baby blue, long arm cast and Darin was awaiting surgery to "pin together" his broken pieces.  But what a difference time makes.  Check out how we looked this afternoon, October 2nd.


Personally, I think we both look a lot happier and healthier.  That's Kodi, to my left, Darin's little brother.  He looks pretty happy too! 


It took meeting up with that 10-year old boy and his brother for my sagging spirits to be lifted once more.  Funny how being with a kid can help that to happen.  Turns out, Darin isn't looking forward to going to physical therapy either, but it has to be done.  I know I'm not exactly having the time of my life doing my PT, but if I want to get back to normal, or at least close...then I can't give up yet.  Not that I won't get discouraged again from time to time, I probably will.  But for today, for right now, I feel like I've received a "shot of encouragement" in the arm from a young man who didn't even realize that he was helping me.  And besides that, as an extra added bonus, Kodi gave me a "lucky penny" to get well on and a gem from his bag of treasures.  Do you see how I could feel very blessed?


Are you guys out there facing some major challenges?  Have you felt like giving up,  as I did yesterday?  Do you think there's no hope for something to get better?  If so, take heart-there is hope and sometimes it's delivered to you in the most unusual of packages.  Just watch for your delivery to happen--the doorbell will be ringing before you know it.  Enjoy the rest of this good Sunday my Facebook friends and family.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment