Monday, December 26, 2011

Between a rock and a hard place










My Christmas gift from my son Grahame yesterday...the story of the 7 day ordeal of Aron Ralston, a young hiker who became trapped while in Blue John Canyon, Utah when a boulder came loose and pinned his right arm against the canyon wall.  After days of desperation, struggling to free himself and figuring to die, Aron does the unthinkable and amputates his own arm to free himself.  His story of survival is so unbelievable  and if you've never read it before, this book comes highly recommended by me.  Geesch, and I think "old lefty" has it bad!  At least the last time I looked, she was still attached.  

When I looked at the calendar just now and counted "my time" (always sounds like a prison sentence or something), it will be nearly 30 weeks from the time of my accident until hopefully Dr. Chan says I'm in the clear, as good as I will ever be.  In the beginning, I used to think the recuperation from my ordeal would be the longest, most drawn-out time of my life.  After reading Aron's story, I realize that my "30 week sentence" is like a proverbial "walk in the park" compared to what he had to endure in just 7 short days.  I need these reminders from time to time, heck we ALL do, to remember even during life's worst times, just how fortunate we really are.  

Oh, by the way, Aron doesn't know it, but he's inspired me to try something new that I want to accomplish as soon as "old lefty" is in the clear.  It actually sounds fun and exciting to do and there's ABSOLUTELY no curbs involved.  And put your worried minds at ease, it has nothing to do with perhaps ending up having to amputate my own arm, probably.  Feel better already, don't you?  Have a great Monday my friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment