Monday, November 12, 2012

In the blink of an eye~

http://bkjs.tumblr.com/post/35319671660/i-wrote-this-3-years-ago-in-memory-of-my-sweet-dad


Good morning dear friends and family out there!  

5 years ago this day, my older brother Mike, lost his life to ALS~Lou Gehrig's Disease.  In the short 3-week span of time between his diagnosis until his death, all of us in his family got a "crash course" in what Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis really meant.  It was a tough lesson to learn but we did.  I so admire the way in which my sister-in-law Paula and my niece Jessica and nephew Christopher were able to help him make it back home for his final precious days of life in Haven.  And to the town of Haven, Kansas~you guys, one and all, supported every single thing, each decision that was made on behalf of my brother's well-being.  You were there, when needed the VERY most.  Is it any wonder that, even though I haven't lived there for over 20 years,  I still respond when asked, "Where are you from?", my answer shall always be "Haven".

I have included a link to a wonderful story that my niece wrote about her dad a couple of years back.  I posted it to my Facebook page yesterday but am also choosing to include it on this blog post.  Her words are more eloquent than any I could think of this day, so if you have not already read it, please do so now if you would.  

He was the brother who gave me my very first and ONLY Barbie doll for Christmas, who lent his car to a friend in order that his little sister (that'd be me) could go out on her very first date and the one who shared his love for the music of a singer/songwriter named Dan Fogelberg.  Mike Scott's life counted for something in this world~and if you are reading this, then he would want you to know that your life counts for something as well.  Please friends, don't waste a precious moment of life this day.  Much love to all of you from him and from me.

"Give Mom and Dad a hug for me, will you? See you in Heaven some day, Mike."  

No comments:

Post a Comment