Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Welcome to 2013~just another "part of the plan"

Good morning friends!  The calendar says we made it~Welcome to the year 2013!  It's the fairly early morning hours here at my home on 14th Street in Hutch.  The  ground is covered with less than an inch of snow from yesterday's weather exhibition and in keeping with the promise that I made earlier in December, I'm not complaining.  We in these parts, heck in a LOT of parts of the Great Plains and beyond, need moisture in the worst of ways.  I've called a "truce" of sorts with my arch enemy "winter" and for better or worse, I hope and pray that we see several snows this season.  As a life-long hater of Arctic (LOL) weather, it's tough to say "send us the snow" but I can do it.

Perhaps you are like me this morning as you think ahead to what awaits you in the 365 days that lie ahead of us all.  Now that 2012 and all of its good/bad remembrances are now behind us, what will we do with the year that now lies right before us?  What will we make of it, or perhaps better said, what will it make of us?  The age old adage, "only time will tell", seems the best answer I could possibly come up with.

I'm not exactly sure that I will ever understand this thing called "life".  For me, my path has taken many twists and turns, and most of them were not expected.  The "blueprint" for my life as a newly married 21-year old young woman from the tiny town of Haven, Kansas doesn't look even remotely like the life of the 57-year old divorced woman that I am today.  The now more than 36-year journey along the way from 1976 until this very moment has been filled with its share of sadness and heartache but equally as well with joy, love and some mighty beautiful memories.  It may not have turned out in the way that I initially thought it would, but the truth is this-IT IS WHAT IT IS.  I give thanks to God for all of the blessings I was given and even those that I was not.  One of the greatest life lessons that I have acquired over the course of many long years, is the knowledge that I am perfectly capable, as a single person, to take very good care of myself.  And friends, that is what I try to do every single day~Case in point, "How many curbs have I attempted to scale on my bike since August 4, 2011?"  

My dear friends and family, I wish that the 365 days that lie ahead will all be good ones for you.  And if some of the days are of the "not so much" kind, then I hope that you can just get through them and keep pressing forward.  There are so many gifts awaiting us, so many opportunities to live a fulfilling life.  Please, keep your eyes open for every chance that comes your way and don't miss out on them.  You won't regret it, I'm positive of that.

The temperature this morning is "colder than the dickens" and as I finish this blog post, big fluffy snowflakes are making their way downward from the grey south central Kansas sky.  "Oh how I love snow!"  (fingers and toes crossed while so saying)  We need the moisture and on behalf of a lot of parched places on this earth, I accept it.  I wrote a post back in July of 2012 about what it had been like to be living in such a dry place called "Kansas".  I'm reprinting it below, once again.    You know, we lived through the drought times and we'll more than likely live through the freezing ones as well.  I take "heart" in knowing that everything that happens to me, every person that I meet in this life is all according to the "plan" made by someone a whole lot greater than I will EVER be.  Thank you for being my good friends~I love you guys all.  Have a great day, January 1st, 2013....and man, this is a great day to be alive in!  Just you wait and see.





Wednesday, July 18, 2012

UPON BEING IN THIS DROUGHT

I fell in love with the story, "Sarah, Plain and Tall" after reading it to my 2nd graders once in school.  In the book, a widowed Kansas farmer (Jacob) writes off to a newspaper back East to advertise for a wife to help him raise his two little children, Caleb and Anna.  The advertisement is answered by a woman living in Maine, Sarah Wheaton.  She agrees to come the more than 2,000 miles to meet them all and see if she can "make a difference".  So on that day in the early 1900's, she boards the train to leave and life was never the same again.


If you have never read the book and the two sequels that followed, I hate to tell the whole story.  As a teacher (ok, sorry but I had to say that), I encourage you to turn off the TV, stop texting, stay away from Facebook for a bit, and pick up a book and it might as well be THIS one.  But I will say that despite the odds against them, Sarah and Jacob fall in love and marry.  Thank goodness that the book's author (Patricia MacLachlan) didn't stop with just the one story.  In the one that followed next, the story became even more memorable and its story line is one that reminds me of times that we are starting to see right here in the middle of the U.S. and for that matter, seems like everywhere!


"Skylark", the second book, finds Kansas in the midst of very dry drought-like conditions.  Everywhere things are drying up and Jacob's farmland is no different than anyone else's.  The family and many others make daily treks to the only source of water available, a creek that is slowly but surely drying up.  When the creek can finally give water no more, Jacob has to make a hard decision.  And that has to be sending Sarah and the children back to Maine to live with her "old-maid" aunts until times get better.  A box or two of kleenix would definitely be a good thing to have around if you are an old softie like me when you read this part or watch the movie on TV.  


A few days before they have to leave, little 8-year old Caleb thinks of one "last-ditch" effort that could possibly bring the rain that would spare the family much heartache.  He gets an empty glass from the kitchen cupboard and puts it outside atop the fence post, thinking sure that somehow, some way, the rain will come to them.


Well, Sarah and the children leave for Maine and Jacob stays behind.  It was a lonely time and existence for them all.  Nothing improved and people began to move away.  Just when it appeared as though absolutely everything was lost, Jacob heard it.  The first clap of real thunder and then the thud, thud, thud of the heaven's opening up and the rain falling down.  Little Caleb's glass filled to the brim and life was restored to them all once again.


Now friends, Caleb's offering of an empty glass in exchange for rain was not one of those "magic, magic" moments.  It wasn't going to be like he could barter to the "gods of rain" for an inch or two of life saving moisture.  That empty glass represented a little boy's "faith" and hope that somehow or another, God would provide for them.  He knew, as most kids are very good at, that you should never give up hope.  That notion was good 100 years ago and it remains so today in 2012.


The graphic that covered the front page of the Hutchinson News a couple of days ago, painted a pretty grim picture.  The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture has declared 82 Kansas counties as "drought disasters".  66 of those counties are called "primary disasters" and my home county, Reno, is one of them.  And it's not just us folks, it's all over the place.  As bad as it seems here in South  Central Kansas, there are so many others suffering greater than we are.  And we all wonder, "when is the rain going to come?"


So this morning when I arose, I thought of Caleb and that story, one that has certainly a great impact upon my life (and my car's odometer registers an "extra" 4,000 miles because of it) and decided to make my "stand".  The photo below shows my plan for this day.  


I could have chosen a narrow-mouthed pint canning jar, but what the heck?  I believe that God will sooner or later send us enough that a wide-mouthed quart jar will be more in order.  There's plenty of other ways to symbolize it~leave your car windows down, spend $10 at an "all-purpose" car wash, do a rain dance...whatever!  But just don't quit believing and don't quit praying that the moisture that we so desperately need will come to us all.  And in the  meantime, perhaps there a good lesson in this for each of us to be learning.


Have a great day you guys~stay as cool as you can, keep hydrated for crying out loud, and take care of yourselves and one another.  And as my very favorite TV personality of all times, Red Green, so often says..."Keep your stick on the ice.  We're all in this together."




No comments:

Post a Comment