Saturday, August 31, 2013

For upon whatever your job might be~

     A late good afternoon greeting everyone out there and sending you best wishes  from a place very far away called Olathe, Colorado.  I'm typing this blog post from my desk in one of the fourth grade rooms here at Olathe Elementary School.  I've been here working for a couple of hours or so and before it's time to leave and call it "good" for the day, I wanted to stop to say "hello" and that I am thinking of you all right now at this very moment.  

     It's the Labor Day weekend, the last official holiday "hurrah" for the summer of 2013.  You know, I never really have gotten too much into the idea of this coming Monday's significance on the calendar.  It's not that I don't appreciate all of the folks who "labor" each and every day because heck, I'm one of them too.  To be right honest with you, the only "labor days" that have held much importance to me were October 2, 1980~October 6, 1988~and December 26, 1990, the "labor dates" of the births of my three children.  Other than that, I can take or leave the official holiday but I am glad for any of you who get the chance to rest from your labors and have the day off.  And to all of the other folks who aren't so lucky and find themselves still at it, just like any other day of the week, I thank you in advance for the services you will provide.

     I have learned many valuable lessons in this life about the jobs that we all must do each day and perhaps one of the most important ones I have learned this summer.  I've been a CNA throughout the course of the last three months providing home health care to the elderly and disabled here in Montrose County, Colorado.   I took the job in early June before I realized there was a chance to return to teaching in the fall.  I wanted something to do, a way to earn money and at the same time provide a much needed service to some very special people.  The pay was minimal at best but just as in teaching, the rewards were immeasurable.  And by the way, a hug feels just as good when it's given to you by an 80-year old as it does by an 8-year old.  I've been the blessed recipient of smiles and hugs from both ends of the age spectrum.

     Anyone who has ever been a CNA in a long-term care setting knows what I speak of when I say how rewarding taking care of the elderly indeed is.  All summer long, I have bathed patients, fixed their meals, cleaned their kitchens, scrubbed their toilets, held their hands in conversation, listened to them as they told their stories, assured them when they were afraid, and listened some more.  Twenty years ago, I wouldn't have believed that I could help someone in and out of the bathroom when they needed assistance or provided post-mortem care after their death.  I would have cringed at either thought, now so very long ago, but I have done both and I am not afraid.  It's a blessing to help people hang on to what fragile health many of them have.  The people I have cared for during the past months here are trying desperately to remain in their own homes in lieu of spending their final days in a long-term care setting.  I applaud them for their determination in so doing and I could only wish to grow up to be as stubborn and determined as they have show themselves to be.  They are like heroes to me.

     I have only one more weekend to work as a home-health CNA before I have to call it "quits".  The demands of school and learning so very much in a new reading and math curriculum will take all of the energy and time that I have to spare.  At age nearly 58, I know my limits and it's with sadness that I must relinquish some extra responsibility at this point in time.  I don't regret one bit taking the job this summer, in fact this job saved me from myself in a lot of ways.  You know, it's pretty hard to feel homesick and sad when you have wonderful people like Mary, Everett, Barbara and Toby waiting for you to come and help them.  They made my day and helped me a whole lot more than I was able to help them some days.  The really neat thing about it was this~they did it without even knowing it.

     So whatever your job in life is, may it be one that brings you peace and comfort.  I thank you for everything that you do that helps so many others, nearly all of them unknown to me.  Do you find joy and contentment in whatever you may do for a living?  If not, perhaps it is time for a change.  As for me, never made a bunch of money doing what I do but at night, when I lay my head on the pillow, I have no trouble at all going to sleep.  Wishing the same for you all as well.

Have a great Labor Day weekend everyone.  Love to you guys, one and all.



  The woods near where my son and daughter-in-law were married last month on Whidbey Island, Washington~It reminded me of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment