Thursday, August 7, 2014

~as we begin to say goodbye to summer~

     It has been quite a summer here along the Western Slopes, one that has flown by at a record speed.  I would like to tell you that I have done everything I set out to do but for sure that is not the case.  Things seem to wait, you know?  What I thought was imperative for a summer "to do" list just moves on over to the chores for autumn.  Mostly I choose to not get all that concerned about it.  I am not sure if that is a sign that I am getting older or perhaps even becoming wiser.  Maybe it's a combination of both.

     The garden managed to grow this year and we have enjoyed several messes of green beans, one of which was cooked with small new potatoes.  The little tiny spuds that I dug from those plants that came back from Kansas with me in April were the only ones that took hold in the clay soil here at our house.  I knew that there wouldn't be that much of a crop to harvest but at least something grew this year.  Mike planted several nice rows of Olathe sweet corn and it would appear that sometime very soon we can enjoy a roasting ear or two for supper.  None of the pepper plants made it, having succumbed to the ravages of a stupid ground squirrel that took all twelve of them off before Mike was able to catch it and a couple of his brothers in a live trap back in July.  The ten tomato plants did make it and because I am the only one here who likes them, I can fill my belly full anytime I like.  Slowly they ripen and although there will probably not be enough for canning, at least I can enjoy a daily dose of Vitamin C from time to time.

     Although this summer was better than last one was, it still had its own share of challenges and mountains to climb over,  figuretively speaking of course.  Even with its trials, I cannot remember crying about anything one time.  That's a record friends when compared to last summer.  Days would go by in the early weeks of being here as a newly transplanted Kansan, when all I had to do was look at the donut section of the local City Market and break out into tears as I missed my life back over the big mountain.  This summer, a year later down the road, I have made it as I determined to stick it out and find out what life was like living in the Rocky Mountains.  It was a long time in coming.  

     The mountains are pretty much barren of snow now and shall probably remain that way for several more weeks ahead.  Although we are still in what is considered to be summer according to the calendar on the wall, it won't be long until things change.  The seasons are getting ready to do their dance once again and autumn will be tapping summer upon the shoulder to say "May I cut in?  It's my turn now."  The beautiful leaves of the Aspen tree will change to their golden color and the day's light will go away a little earlier each day.  Children will wear their hoodies to school and Friday nights the football field down at Montrose High School will be alit for the season's football games.  Life goes on.  Time goes on,  just as it should.

     I know not what lies ahead for me this year.  Come to think of it, I don't even know what lies ahead for the rest of the day :)  What ever it might be, I just figure to go forth and meet it.  For the good stuff and even for the not so good, I will give thanks.  This life of mine has been blessed beyond measure, filled to overflowing as I approach my 59th year later on in October.  It hasn't always turned out like I thought it would but it did turn out as it should.  I pray to remember that always and give thanks for what has been mine.  

     You know, I cannot say it enough and it took moving 611 miles away from Kansas for me to realize it fully.  I am thankful every day for my friends and family, no matter which side of the big mountain you may live on.  God blessed me with an abundance of people to call "friend".   Those of you back on the Atlantic side of the great Divide, I miss you and the wonderful times we shared together.  To those of you on the Pacific side, thank you that you opened your hearts to me and took me in under your protective "wings".  I shall always remain grateful, forever beholden for the kindness of each of you.  My heart is full and overflowing.  What a gift that it has been mine.


                                                 The basil grew and flourished.

                          Mike's dalia managed to start putting forth beautiful blooms.
                                                     She actually made it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment