Sunday, December 28, 2014

~well the time has come~

It is a strange thing to leave your heart in two different places.  From my hometown of Haven, greetings friends and family wherever you may be.

It's early here.  Very early as a matter of fact.  I woke up at 3:00 this morning with a "start" as I guess I remembered that we will be going back home very soon.  The time is now at hand and I didn't realize how difficult it would be to leave this place once again.  But leave we must.  Although originally we had planned to stay several days longer, the weather is promising to bring storms this week to the mountains.  We must make it safely over Monarch Pass before it gets more treacherous.  It's important so to do.  I kind of like living still these days.

We have spent one last night here in Haven, Kansas and enjoyed the company of the Fisher/Scott Family.  We played cards with everyone and I actually managed to win a game or two.  I was shown one of the most amazing card tricks ever by David and I'm still thinking that it was pretty amazing.  Not one clue of how he did it but there was one thing that made this teacher's heart smile.  When I asked him how he knew to do it, the response was one that was like music to my ears.

"I learned how to do it by reading a book!"
Good answer David!

Now about that idea of leaving my heart in two different places.  Actually two different places in two different states and two different time zones and a whole lot of other things.  

Yesterday morning I cried when I realized it was time to say farewell to my sister and brother-in-law as they returned to their home in Oklahoma.  The time had gone so very quickly and we had enjoyed being with them.  I was crying for a whole lot of reasons and my sister going back home was only one of them.  You know I had done so well with not returning to Kansas for six whole months that I thought it would be a slice of that proverbial "piece of cake" this time around.  I'd be able to just go back when the time was through and not even think another thing about it.  I realize now that was not the case.

I had so much fun here and made enough memories to store up until the next time I return.  Finally, finally I saw the luminaries in Hyde Park and the weather was nice enough to be able to walk through the paths, rather than having to drive them.  It had long been my desire to attend a Catholic Mass, to understand the faith that is so close to my own.  Mike and I were able to visit St. Jude Catholic Church in Wichita and attend the services there with his nephew and family.  We spent a morning at the Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, a wonderful space museum that is only a block or so from my home there.  All this time I had been so close to it and never really took advantage of going there to visit.  This time back I did.  

The list of wonderful things to have done goes on and on.  I loved everything that I saw while i was here, including the people.  Especially the people.  Maybe that's why it is so hard to leave this morning and I guess that is kind of understandable.  Perhaps I should not be so hard on myself (surprise, surprise) and just accept the fact that I will always still be a Kansan no matter where I find myself living.  It's natural for that to happen.

Yet back in Colorado I have a life as well and it is filled with wonderful friends who have become just like a second, extended family to me.  There is a community of people that I have the privilege of working with each day at Olathe Elementary and I love each and every one of them.  They watch over me and everyone else as well.  I like that about them.  They care about what happens to the others, they "cover" our backs all the time.  They have blessed my soul and lifted my spirits high.  I have missed them too!  We have become used to seeing one another and even though all of us were grateful for the Christmas break, it will soon be time to return to life at school and that is how it should be.  Olathe friends I am looking forward to seeing you back there.  

And then, well then there are these little people that I have grown close to being with.  I love them with all of my heart.  They call me "teacher" and it is a calling that I don't take lightly.  I have been thinking of them and hoping they are doing ok.  We have lots to accomplish in the weeks and months that lie ahead of us still.  They need to be ready for the second grade and it's my job to get them there and get there they will.  I promised them that I would come back to be with them and a promise is just that....  a promise.

So for now my dear Kansas, I have to go.  I am well and cared for in a place far away from here.   I have learned that there are good and decent people in this world.  Some live in Kansas and some live in Colorado.  The great thing, the bonus of the whole situation as I see it is this.....I have the best of both worlds.  What more could I ask for?  

Thank you for being my friends.  If I haven't said that lately, well I'm surely saying it now.  Where would I be without you?  In a world of hurt, that's where.  I love you guys all.  Please remember me as I will always be remembering you.

See you again sometime Kansas!  See you soon Colorado!


God gave me the best hometown there EVER was~
Haven, Kansas


No comments:

Post a Comment