Sunday, March 1, 2015

~15 down, 45 left to go~

I first noticed it when I glanced out the kitchen window and looked into the eastern sky while washing up the breakfast dishes.  Mike saw it while he and Sally the dog were taking their walk in the early morning hours yesterday along Locust Road.  The most beautiful sunrise that I've seen in a few weeks was appearing over Silverjack Mountain and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.  I dried my soapy hands, hurried to put my shoes on, and grabbed a camera on my way out the door.  I met Mike just outside  and we read one another's minds with a smile on our faces.  He was on his way to come in and tell me to look at it and get a photo.  

And so I did.

                                                               Wintertime 2015
The view from here on the last day of February as the sun came up to announce the beginning of yet another new day of life.

I've taken so many photos of sunrises and sunsets in the past four years.  In my opinion each of them were meaningful and had beauty all of their own.  Yet yesterday's sunrise was different for some reason and for the life of me I cannot tell you what that reason was.  Literally within minutes the sky changed and the image shown above was nowhere to be seen.  It had vanished into Colorado "thin air" and had I been a moment later in witnessing it in the first place, I would never have captured the picture to begin with.

~the brevity of a sunrise, the brevity of life itself~

This morning we turned the calendar to the month called March and for as quickly as the 28 days of February passed us by one can only imagine that it won't take long for the next 31 to speed by either.  Time flies when you are living your life.  

It was 7 months ago that I came up with a list of 60 things to do before I turn 60 this year and  it seems like I should have plenty of time to finish them up before late October.  Yet, I've lived long enough to find out that life doesn't always go as you plan it to and if I am serious about completing the list then I need to be diligent in my quest to do so.  My plan is to continue on.

15 down~45 left to go.

Mike took the picture shown above 3 years before I came here for the first time to meet him once again.  I saw the photograph before I left Kansas that winter day in January of 2013 and could not imagine witnessing the sun come up like that each day.  It was not unlike the one I took yesterday and perhaps that is why it meant so much to me to see a sight like this once again.

                                                           Wintertime 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment