Monday, March 30, 2015

~be at peace with life~

The view out of the window today is different.

Instead of seeing majestic Silverjack Mountain or the beautiful snow covered San Juan Mountains in the distance, Pike's Peak looms on the horizon.  I'm on the eastern side of the great Continental Divide as I wait here in Colorado Springs for a flight out today to visit my son and his family for a few days.  It feels strange to be here but I'm glad that we made it safe and sound.  Mike dropped me off and headed back home to Montrose where Sally the Dog and Crosby the Cat waited for him to return once again.  Now in the stillness of my motel room, I wait.

We took a few pictures along the way yesterday morning, views that I've seen more times than I can even remember.  It has been nearly 4 months since I last saw Arrowhead Canyon or Monarch Pass  and it was really nice to see them once again.

                                         Arrowhead Canyon
                                         The view at the summit of Monarch Mountain

Today is the third day of our spring break from school and I hope that "the 20" are enjoying their time at home with their families.  Right before we all left last Friday, just as we were lining up at the door to go home, one little boy asked me if there was homework to do while they were on spring break.  With a smile on my face, I answered him.

"Yes, as a matter of fact there is.  Every single day that you are home from school I want you to do one thing and one thing only.  HAVE FUN just being a kid."

"That's our homework?" he replied back.  "I like that kind of homework."  

The older that I have gotten, the more I have realized just how quickly children are expected to grow up.  In the blink of an eye, it's all over.  Once they were little kids laughing their fool heads off and having fun on the playground.  In the next moment of time they are grown up with little ones of their own.  The passage of time is a sobering thought when you stop to consider it.  Letting little kids be little for as long as they can is the greatest gift that one can give them.

I'm on my way to see my little granddaughter today.  It's been a year that I saw her and the last time was when she was only 3 weeks old.  She will have grown and changed so much.  Now she is up walking and toddling about.  We live very far apart from one another but always in my heart she is right there.  I get to spend the next 4 days with her and I will make as many memories as I can.  The last time I saw her, I left a message for her in the sand near the beach of her home.  It said that her Grandma Peggy loved her and always will.  I'm sure the tide washed it away only a short while after I left it but the sentiment came from the heart and nothing, not even the waters of the Puget Sound, can ever change it.

Wherever you are in this wonderful world of ours today, please take care, be well and even though it seems to be changing on a daily basis around our house,

Be at peace with life.


                                   Words of wisdom that are important to remember.






No comments:

Post a Comment