Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"with your eyes and your heart as well"

When I first came to Colorado back in January of 2013,  Mike took me to visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park which was literally only a few miles from his home atop a little hill outside of town.  I had driven right past it only hours earlier but in my weariness from being on the road for so long in the journey from my home in south-central Kansas,  I really hadn't even noticed what I was driving so very close to.  I still remember how awestruck I felt as I stood there gazing out at it and realizing just how very different the terrain of the prairies of my Kansas was from the mountains and canyons of Mike's Colorado.  As we stood there for a picture that first day, it was breathtaking.

There has been a lot of this state that has literally "taken my breath away" and not just because  I moved to an altitude of more than 5,000 feet higher than I had been used to in the flatlands.  Once I got over my homesickness and loneliness for Kansas, I began to see all kinds of wonderful things to look at each day.  They had been there all along.  I just didn't choose to see them.  Some of my favorite of images that I will take away from my life here in Colorado are shown below. 

That first autumn together in 2013, we drove to the top of Cerro Summit one evening and waited for the sun to set in the western sky.  While we were there we were able to see the world all around us and it is a gorgeous one at that.
The sun set and we were still there.  Strange how fast the time flew that evening and even stranger how fast it has flown by since then.
Sometimes all I've had to is just walk down the drive way and look towards the adobes and the Grand Mesa.  The winter of 2014 offered up this photo and as much as I have a disdain for winter and cold weather, some of the best pictures can be taken then.  
Here at home, the sun comes up
and sets each day.  The "Master" painter is always at work, whether you live in Colorado, Kansas or even Texas.  
I've been fortunate to cross over Monarch Pass safely in all kinds of weather and these beautiful trees are found at the summit at the 11,000+ feet level.   They looked as if they belonged on the front of a Christmas card when we saw them in late December of 2013.

Mike and I decided to ride to the very top (12,000+) level of Monarch Summit in the summer of 2014 when we were on the way to Salida to visit our dear friends LeRoy and Anne.  We'd always said we would do it and that seemed to be the day that was made for it.  The world looks different from that viewpoint.  
This is my view from along the way to and from school each day at Olathe, a small community only about 12 miles from here in Montrose.  Sometimes the views are even more beautiful than others.  The clouds come in and settle down upon the Black Canyon in some very interesting ways.  This has been one of my favorites.
Certainly one sight I will never forget is this one on the way to Ouray.  The mountains rise up like a magical kingdom there.  I took this photo on the way to the ice climbing competition in Ouray this past January.  

During the late part of summer in 2014, Mike and I visited Yankee Boy Basin near Ouray.  The scenery there was really nice and the sky was most beautiful.

Even though we are going to be leaving this state in a matter of only a few weeks more, I am sure that we will come back from time to time for a visit.  Although our scenery is soon to change, I stand firm in the conviction that the world is filled with beauty no matter where you live.  You have to be willing to look for it, both with your eyes and your heart as well.  





No comments:

Post a Comment