Saturday, August 29, 2015

~they only need to know that you care~

Welcome to Saturday!

When I woke up this morning and looked at the clock, I was sure surprised to see that it was already nearly 6 a.m.  After a busy and challenging first week at school it felt nice to sleep in past the 4 o'clock in the morning hour for once.  I must have needed a little extra rest or something because I swear I woke up in the very same position that I went to sleep in last night.  Just like the first 3 months of life here in Burkburnett went by at record speed, the same can be said of the first week at school.

Time flies when you are learning the names of over 120 children.

We went to see the Petrolia boys play football last evening over at Archer City where they ended up with their very first win of the season.  High school football on the plains of Texas is very important and the camaraderie amongst the players and the rest of the students was very evident.  Just like back home on the Kansas prairies or in the mountains of Colorado, people are out supporting their teams.  It made my heart happy to hear the voice of a young man that I have in class yelling to his buddies as Mike and I arrived at the game.

"Hey!  Look you guys.  Mrs. Renfro came to the game!"

Sometimes the best place to build relationships with students is at the local football stadium, in the school supply aisle at Walmart, the check out line at the grocery store, or on the streets of Petrolia. There are only so many moments in the school day and they come and go in the blink of an eye. If I really want to get to know my students then sometimes I'm going to have to meet them halfway and most of the time that is found outside the confines of the classroom.  I've made a few mistakes this week but I expected that would happen.  Those mistakes have taught me valuable lessons and the greatest lesson has been to not to do that again.  Yet one thing I learned long ago about the children I have taught is that they don't need their teacher to be perfect.

They only need to know that you care.


"Old Glory" flies at the stadium last evening at Archer City.  It was a beautiful night for high school football.



No comments:

Post a Comment