Sunday, October 4, 2015

~welcome to Sunday, 1:30 a.m.~

Life's redo.
Welcome to Sunday.
1:30 a.m.     

It's the very early morning hours here in the hill country of northeastern Oklahoma.  The noise from the busy streets and adjacent interstate highway have awoken me from my sleep.  After 40 minutes of tossing and turning, I just decided to give up and get out of bed.  Very soon, I will be on the road and heading back towards home in Burkburnett after coming here to Tulsa on Friday evening to attend an earth science workshop.  

It was an interesting conference, one filled with new things to see, learn about, and do.   Twenty other educators, mostly from this immediate area and predominantly teachers of science, filled the chairs and tables around me.  Although I probably wasn't gifted with the same drive for science that they surely are, I did learn lots of things and how I could apply them to my own classroom of writers. 

I will leave this morning with plenty of newly found knowledge of the world of science but even greater than that, awakenings about my own self.  You know, I came away from the conference with this one most profound thought.

At least I'm not as old as the petrified dinosaur poop that I held in my hands yesterday afternoon.  Nearly 60 is beginning to look pretty young after all.


My last 3 weeks in the "land of 50 somethings" lies ahead.   I look forward to beginning my sixth decade of life.  It's a gift that my father was never able to open but I feel certain that he would be most happy to know that his "little" girl once did.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
2:15 a.m.

Writing this blog post did what I had hoped it would.  I am ready to return to sleep.  Have a beautiful Sunday everyone out there.  I love you dear friends and family, one and all.

My father (age 59)

And me.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment