Wednesday, December 9, 2015

~I would not have made a very good big city girl~

I would not have made a very good "big city" girl.
That's plenty much it, plain and simple.  
I've known it all along and one thing is for sure about that.
I won't be changing my mind.
Ever.
And I mean it.

I am a farmer's daughter who lived nearly her whole life, save the past 2 1/2 years, on the plains of south-central Kansas.  The Great Plains area of the United States is the place where I was born and raised up in and it is the place where I most feel to home.  

I'm glad we made it to Texas.   Seven months after we arrived that late day in May, I feel like we are where we should be.  I am back in the "land of where you can see forever and ever, AMEN".  Even though I miss the dear ones we left behind in Colorado, I know that we made the right decision to come here.  

For all intents and purposes, this land of north central Texas is much like my old home in Kansas.  The people might drink a lot of sweet tea and say "y'all" all the time but they are good and kind, much like the folks that call Kansas their home.  Combines cut the wheat crop in the early days of summer and as a matter of fact, Burkburnett is one of my father's old stopping off places for harvesting each year.  I felt his presence here from the moment we arrived.

This early evening as the sun sank into the western sky, I thought of my father when I looked at the silhouette of the Farmer's Cooperative grain elevator on the edge of town.  The sky was painted in the colors of the Lord's most magnificent palette.  I knew that once long ago, my own father had seen the very same image that I was looking at.  

And it made me feel good.
It was as if I was in the right place in time.

Mike and I have begun to write our names in the sand of this country we now live in.  Little by little we become more and more accustomed to life here.  Slowly but surely, we now consider ourselves "Texans".  It seems a little strange, but we'll get used to it.

The road has led me to many different places since I left Reno County, Kansas in May of 2013.  Every single place is where the good Lord wanted me to be at the time.  I never thought I'd be living in Wichita County, Texas but here is where I find myself.  Our faith brought us here,  800 miles over the Rocky Mountains.  In faith, we have decided to make this our new home.  It is not Kansas nor is it Colorado.

But then it was never meant to be.
They call it "Texas".
We call it "home".

Long after the sunset this evening, the sky was still giving off a most beautiful glow.  From Texas, we are alive and surely well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment