Monday, January 4, 2016

~seems like only yesterday~

The alarm clock within me went off much earlier than I planned today.   Good thing I've been taking all of those naps during Christmas vacation.  Even after 38 years of doing this, I still find it difficult to sleep the day before school begins in August as well as the day before we go back to school in January.  

It was surely no different this time around.

The next five months at school will fly by us at record breaking speed.  The kids and grown ups alike have much to learn about and share together.  After being away from the kids for over 2 weeks, I felt that feeling of "I've been there before" when yesterday I said to Mike,

"Man, I hope I can still remember all of their names!"  
He smiled at me and said not to worry.  I'd remember.

I was recollecting the feeling of spending the first month of school trying to sort out the names and match them to the faces of over 125 students that would be in my care when they came to my English class.  I felt so bad during those first weeks of school back in August and September when I struggled with that very thing.  I'd come home at night and tell Mike that I thought I'd NEVER remember their names.  I worried what the kids would think if I continued to make mistakes as I called one kid by another kid's name.  I need not have worried because one thing I've learned about kids over the years is this.

They are actually very understanding.  They know how to forgive.

It's 4:15 in the morning.  Somewhere out there, they are asleep in bed and still dreaming of all the fun things they did over vacation.  Seems strange to think that in four hours more we will all be together once again.  May this second semester of school be a productive one that is filled with peace, hope, and lots of learning.  

This is my 13, 378th day of being a teacher.
Seems like only yesterday.

This picture always helps me keep things in perspective.  It was taken in the early morning hours of my 54th birthday back in 2009.  I had taken the day off from school to celebrate another year of life and to turn in my retirement papers to the school district office back home in Hutchinson.  I had no idea where the years ahead would lead me.  That didn't matter.

God knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment