Sunday, April 3, 2016

~and so it is April 3rd~

~and so it is April 3rd~

It's always hard to imagine, extremely hard to believe just how fast the passage of time really goes.  One day it's Friday night and you are dragging Main Street in Hutch with all of your friends, looking to see where all of the cute guys are.  The next day you are 60 years old and wondering where your 20's went.  I've noticed it more and more as the years have gone by and one thing for certain shall be this.

As life goes on, those years will not pass any slower.

I'm reminded of that subject of time each and every day.  It's been on my mind so much it would seem.  I'm finishing up year number 38 of being a teacher and I'd love to be able to teach for two more years before I really do retire.  I've got this thing about teaching 40 years and it's important to me.  Right now I am studying feverishly, ok maybe not to that extreme, but still studying in order to pass the tests that I must take to receive my teaching license here in Texas.  Time is of the essence here as my current one expires on the first day of June.  I have found it to be not as easy as I had hoped for but it does not deter me from making the effort to try.  Prayers would be appreciated on this old teacher's behalf.  I need all of the help I can possibly get.

Yesterday as Mike and I planted flowers and veggies in the garden, I stopped for a moment and took a break from it all.  It's not as easy to get up and down off the ground these days.  As you get older, perhaps you shall feel the same.  My old knees are telling on me and every once in a while I get winded.  That old subject of time crept into the conversation when I wondered what the perennials would look like 10 years from now.  Would they be able to survive the sometimes dry conditions that this area of the U.S. sometimes endures?  Then I paused to realize that even I might not be around to find out.  It's a sobering thought but one that I get from time to time.  

Today is Sunday.  One final day of the weekend awaits us before returning to school come the morrow.  Time shall go quickly this day as well.  There are more flowers to plant, more gardening selections to put into the red soil of this great state, house cleaning chores, and hopefully just a little time to sit on the front porch and relax a bit.  Who knows what lies ahead of this day?  None of us do.  But whatever it is, I go forth in faith that all will be well.  

You know, I wrote those words shown above at 4:30 this morning when I had awoken.  I didn't know what I'd be doing for sure, only that I'd be busy doing something around here.  About mid-morning, I decided to do something that I had been wanting to do for a long time now.  I realized that if I did, then several other things on my "to do" list would have to wait for another day.  Looking back, I'm glad I made the decision to do what was fun for a change.  The little 9-year old girl who still lives inside of me, gave me the message loud and clear.

"It's about time!"

I'd been wanting to make a fairy garden since I first saw a flower bed full of them in Ridgway, Colorado in the fall of 2014.  I was intrigued by the little special things that went into one and in the back of my mind I kept telling myself that I'd make one for sure sometime.  

Well the sometime was today.


It was fun and actually rather relaxing to do.  Just needed a few things that I already had around here, plus a few things I did not.  For those things, well that's what they make WalMart for.



For an amateur fairy garden maker, I'm pleased with the first attempt.  Who knows?  I had so much fun doing it that I just might make another one to go with it.  After all, it really only takes one thing.

Time.



No comments:

Post a Comment