Sunday, April 24, 2016

~as I see life from their point of view~

     I've been studying a lot as of late for a couple of tests that I must take in May in order to procure my state of Texas teaching certificate by June 1.  Even though I've been teaching for more years than most of the folks that I visit with at TEA have been around, it really doesn't matter.  In this state, every single teacher must take the battery of tests prescribed.  That's how it is and there is no need to argue it further.

     Period.

     I've been seeing things in my study materials that I have not given any thought to in the past long while and some of those things I truly had simply forgotten about.  You know it's the old saying of "out of sight, out of mind".  I believe it now.  In order to teach the subject areas that I am used to, I need to know a little bit (or a whole lot) about everything.  Math and science (each an old nemesis), social studies, language arts, p.e., music, art, Texas history, and a random assortment of a gazillion other things are all included.  Each of the tests is 5 hours long and I think my head already hurts.  One way or the other, I'm getting through it.

     In contrast though, I have also applied for a teaching certificate from the state of Oklahoma.  Not that I would need it or anything but just in case I ever wanted one in the years ahead, I would have it.  The state of Oklahoma does things very differently.  My years of experience would be "grandfathered" in without my having to take any kinds of tests.  It's a stark difference in regards to the teacher certification of each of those states.

     Yesterday as I was taking one of the practice tests, in fact the very last one, I was a bit preoccupied with a few other things around here.  I decided to pause the test and resume it later on, but instead of hitting the "resume later" button, I inadvertently hit the "quit test" button.  The moment I did that, I knew what would happen.  Sure enough the score came up that I didn't know 73% of the subject matter.  With 3/4 of the test's questions unanswered yet, the math made plenty of sense to me.  It was too late and some words that I've uttered a thousand times to students during test taking times came back to haunt me.

"Kids, when you do the last question and believe you are finished with the test, DO NOT hit the "end test" button.  Hold up your hand and I'll come over to your computer first to make sure you are REALLY done!"  

And so it sadly went for their teacher yesterday.   

     I've learned many things about myself as I've struggled through this whole ordeal of studying for a test that I never thought I would have to take in this life.  I don't like sitting still and testing any better than the students in my classroom do.  5 hours will seem like a long time on those two days and my 60-year old body will undoubtedly begin its own kind of special revolt before those 300 minutes are over.  I can only imagine how hard it is for my students to sit still for the 50 minutes of class time we have some days and yet, I still ask them to.
   
     I never did care much for taking tests as a kid growing up and I have to honestly say I'm really not too crazy about doing it now.  How many times as a teacher have I witnessed test anxiety and heard the groans when test day arrived?  To my students from the past nearly 4 decades, I understand.  I surely can see things from your point of view today!  Yet even having said all of that, the bottom line is this.  In my heart, there is a desire to continue to teach.  There is "teacher" yet within me and because of that, you can find me in the test taking room on May 16th.

     I work online with a program that helps those who desire to get certification here in Texas.  It's a great program and gives a nice variety of questions that hopefully will be like the ones I see when I go in for the real test.  I like the way that individual strengths and weaknesses show up before you take the next practice test.  It is a good thing to know which of the competencies you need to work on and believe me, there are several.  I had to smile, even after I accidentally said I was done before I really was, at the first 2 things on my list of strengths.  Even in as much as there is still more to learn, I KNOW in my heart the #1 thing on my list.

     So this teacher is now a student once again and it's a humbling experience.  My goal of being a lifelong learner is getting a workout during the next 3 1/2 weeks and for a 60-year old whose brain cells disappear from time to time, it gets a bit overwhelming.  I'm in it for the long run because I am a teacher.

     I wouldn't have it any other way.
3 years ago now~when Mr. Renfro came to Kansas and married their teacher.  The gym was filled with students, teachers, family and friends.  I can't imagine where 3 years have already gone.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment