Sunday, April 17, 2016

~what shall we make of it?~

The rain finally began to fall yesterday afternoon and just as was promised, it has not stopped since then.  The sound of it coming down outside is peaceful to me and a lullaby of sorts for a good night's rest.  Mike is still sleeping away, tucked snugly under the covers of our bed.  We are alive and well here in Burkburnett, Texas.

What a gift the moisture is and even though it appears today that some flooding is likely, we still should give thanks for what we receive.  Last year's drought was broken just about this time in 2015 and for the people of Texhoma, it could not have come at a better time.  Life without rain for nearly 5 years left many stories to be told to newcomers, just like Mike and I.  None of the remembrances sound very fun or inviting.  

It was wonderful to visit a local greenhouse a couple of weekends past and to hear people talking with excitement in their voices about all of the things they were hoping to plant this year.  Smiles were on every single face that we saw that day as people filled their carts to the brim with annuals and perennials of every type, size, and color.  

They were not afraid to use water any longer.

Mike and I checked on the condition of our garden yesterday and it was looking pretty good.  Everything is up, green, and growing like crazy.  This present rainfall will continue to help its progress.  Although it will take some time for the ground to dry out later on this week, I'm sure we will be back out there taking care of the weeds and grass that like to share the soil with our plants.   Although my 60-year old body sometimes doesn't want to do the same things it used to 10 years ago in the garden, I still find gardening to be some of the very best of exercise.  I appreciate what it does for my body and equally so, what it does for my spirit.

We are doing fine here and have made many new friends.  One of them is Alice and two days ago she arrived at our house with her husband Jeff as they dropped off tables for us to use in yesterday's short-lived garage sale.  Alice had a smile on her face as she met me at the door with a small blue container filled with beautiful rose buds that she had just cut off of the bushes at their church here in town.  She wanted to share them with me and for that wonderful gesture of friendship, I give thanks.  This morning they are beautiful as they have opened up in the windowsill that they must share with all of my African violets.  They bring a smile to my face and to my heart as well.  Alice is a fellow Kansan and a Jayhawker from the southern part of the state.  So nice to have a connection to my old home back there.



And so this day begins.  What shall we make of it?  As for me, I choose the good.


No comments:

Post a Comment