Friday, July 8, 2016

~for all the bad in the world, there is still good~

You know something?
For all of the bad in this world of ours, there is still a whole lot more good.
I just know it.

My sister Sherry, my mentor in life and the field of education,  is pretty sick right now and recuperating in a hospital bed.  When I saw her yesterday, she wasn't worrying about getting better or when she would get to go home.  Instead, our visit revolved around my new classroom for this coming year and how she could help me get things ready for the kids.  Even though she still felt pretty rough, Sherry talked to me about things I could order to decorate the walls and how she would come over some time to help me with things I needed assistance with.  That's what I love about her.  She is always thinking of others before she ever considers her own needs. 

For all of the bad people in this world, there are good people like Sherry.

One of my students messaged me the other day and told me that he had begun his own blog online and wanted me to know about it.  That young man is a special kid who will enter the 6th grade this fall at my old school of Petrolia.  I was so proud of him and his accomplishments in writing this past year.  He told me that I had inspired him with my own blog and that he wanted to try his hand at it.  I know he will make it in this life.  That boy has ambition and plenty of it.

For all of the bad people that you read about in the news or see on the TV screen, there are young men like Skylar who are going to make one huge difference for the "good" in this world. Just you wait and see.

There is a great guy here in town named Dwight who cuts both my hair and Mike's.  I came across Dwight last summer when I was in dire need for help with my hair.  He knew just what to do and won me over immediately with his calm and gentle nature.  We have gone to him since then.  I've walked into his little shop countless times, totally unannounced and asked him if he would please just trim up my bangs before I took the scissors to them myself.  He always does and has never once taken a cent in payment for doing it.  His integrity as a businessman goes beyond what a person would normally do.  He and I are the same age and I have told him many times that he cannot retire before I die.  He laughs and says he will try his best to remain on the job.  

For all of the bad people in this world, there are folks like Dwight who are not out to make a killing while taking care of people's hair.  You don't find that very often and when you DO find them, you never want to let them go.

This world of ours is filled with way more people who are doing the "good" than there will ever be with people who are out to harm us in one way or the other.  You know them too.  Perhaps it's the stranger who insists that you cut in line in front of them at the market because you have two things and they have a full cart.  How about the sweet little old lady who sits on her front porch and keeps an eye on the neighborhood kids while they play outdoors in their own front yards?  It might be your own child's teacher who goes way beyond what is normally required of them in order that your children have a chance to succeed in their lives.  Hey these are only a few ideas.  Your hearts and minds are filled with many others.  They have to be.  They are out there if you only look for them.

For all of the bad people in this world, for this day and for all the days that follow, I choose to do one thing.

I make the choice to remember the good.
So should you.


It's the way that little baby girl was brought up.  

2 comments:

  1. Mrs Renfro I went inside a volcano today in New Mexico and tomorrow we're leaving to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When this blog came out I was so happy.when you do more blogs I will be reading them.i like listening to the interesting storys.

    ReplyDelete