Monday, August 15, 2016

~and I might make it!~

I saw an old picture last evening that always makes me smile.  It was of a young girl with her blue eyes sparkling and the countenance that she bore upon on her face was sincerely happy, coming straight from the heart. There were no wrinkles upon her skin nor streaks of gray in her short brown hair.  Come to think of it, her left arm looked just like her right arm did at the time.

And she was me.



I hadn't quite made it to my 21st birthday on the day this picture was taken back in Kansas. Oh how I loved that blue gingham checked shirt I had on.  I remember the day that I purchased it in a store that is now long gone in Hutchinson.  The denim jumper was one of my favorites too and even though that clothing has long since been retired from my closet, I still remember.

Soon, very soon, I will be approaching my 61st birthday and the older I get, the more gratitude I have in my heart for just being allowed to still be here in the first place.  I'd be lying if I told you that the aches and pains that come with advancing years don't bother me, because they do. One by one here lately, seems like another body part or two asks for my attention.  I wish that I could get up and down off the floor with ease just as I did when that photo was taken.  Yet, I cannot.  I have forgotten what it was like to go nonstop from sunup to sundown because now I allow myself the much needed gift of rest from time to time.

That young woman shown above, the one that I used to be, really had no earthly clue what life was all about.  I would not have correctly predicted anything that would await me in the 40 years between then and now.  Some of the things that happened to me were not even on the "radar" at that time.  There was so much good that came, so many blessings that were mine that even the things that happened which were bad found themselves completely overshadowed by that which was good.  

Turning 61 in late October is just another milestone in the life of a little farm girl from south central Kansas.  I'm not afraid of growing older and as a matter of fact, I'm setting my sights on age 64 if the good Lord sees fit that I should get there.  Not sure why that's such a special age to me and it has nothing to do with retirement either.  Hey, I just like the sound of the number. Once I get past there, I might even want to challenge myself to stay well and make it to #74 and #84.  You just never know.

I might make it!
We'll have to just wait and see.

From two years ago now~
Spending time with children each day helps me to keep my life in perspective.  It's a nice feeling to have.  I can sleep at night.




No comments:

Post a Comment