Thursday, August 11, 2016

~in a letter to the children~

Year #39 begins in just a few hours and the best school year EVER will begin.  I plan to use this blog as a teaching tool from time to time and today I will introduce it to my children.  It is my hope to inspire them to endeavor to be writers as well.  I wasn't sure who I would be teaching this school year and spent many long weeks wondering, praying, and hoping that I would find someone who needed me.  In mid-June, I found them and "the 20" were only a few miles away from me, across the Red River and into the great state of Oklahoma.  ("God's country" as my good friend LeRoy often refers to his home state)  How grateful, happy, and most blessed do I feel this day!  This is their blog post and it's called  "A Letter to the Children".

A Letter to the Children~

Dear 3rd graders,

     It is the early morning hours at my house here in Burkburnett.  I'm the only one up, well that is save for Crosby the Cat who at this very moment in time is sitting on the table alongside the computer, watching every move that my fingers make on the keyboard.  Sally the Dog stayed up long enough to take her usual bathroom break in the backyard but she has gone right back to sleep on the floor on Mr. Renfro's side of the bed.  I think she loves to hear him as he softly snores her back to sleep.  Mr. Renfro and Sally are faithful friends to one another.  Crosby and Sally get along pretty well for a cat and dog.  Their favorite activity is to lie with their bellies up on the laminate floor of the living room, just underneath the ceiling fan.  They patiently wait for someone to come along and rub their soft tummies.  Usually they don't have to wait too long!

It's still very early.
4:30 a.m. in the morning~

     I am imagining that you all had quite a time getting to bed and sleep last night.  Were you as excited as I was?  I tossed and turned for a long while as I thought of everything that would be happening for us on our first day of school.  Did I have everything done?  Would everything be ok?  When I finally got to sleep, I knew our first day together would be just fine.  In only a couple of hours more, we will be together and our adventure called "Third Grade" will begin.

     There is so much for us to learn this year.  Reading, math, social studies, science, spelling, writing, music, pe,  and many more things await us.  I want you to learn to be the very best that you can be in each of those subjects.  It's so important for us to cover each of the standards that the state of Oklahoma wants for its children to learn from but don't worry.  We can do it!

     I love being a teacher and it brings my heart much joy to help children learn all that they need to know.  You don't realize it yet, but some of my greatest lessons to teach are those that I often call the "lessons of life".  I want you to understand how to be good citizens of our classroom and the world around you.  It's imperative to me that you become aware of just how important it is to get along with the people you encounter each day, even if you don't always like them or agree with them.  I want you to have good hearts, ones that are kind and caring towards others.  You know little ones, you can be the smartest mathematician or the best reader in the entire world, but if you heart is not loving and caring, it just won't be the same.  You all are wonderful children and I can't wait to greet you and give you a hug this morning.  It's going to be the best first day that there ever was!

     I'm  very glad that I was chosen to be your teacher this year.  We will stick together and make every day of 3rd grade one to remember.  See you very soon!

     Love you,

     Mrs. Renfro

 Once I was a little kid, just like you!

No comments:

Post a Comment