Thursday, September 22, 2016

~and so I did~

I think I was feeling tired and worn out from the excitement of the past week.  It could have been that perhaps.  Maybe I was missing Kansas and the sister that I had to leave behind last weekend as she lay in her hospital bed in the CCU there in Wichita.  It might just have been one of those "teacher moments', not unlike those that I have from time to time.  For whatever it was, it happened as I sat at my desk while the kids were outside at recess and the weirdest thing came to pass.

My eyes began to leak.

I was looking at the picture, the one shown below, when it occurred.  It was of my kids all dressed up in the KU t-shirts that I had arranged to find for them.  I had several dear friends and family members back home in Kansas who knew that I was looking for them.  When I was back there this past weekend, I began to gather them up.


I don't how to explain it all, but I felt this overwhelming sense of pride in my students, my home state of Kansas, and the love of people that these little kids don't even know of yet.  Fine folks back there took it upon themselves to start the hunt for gently used and even some brand new KU t-shirts that might fit my kids.  Last night as I was gathering them all up, folding them and placing them into a laundry basket, I wondered if they might all work out ok.  It was a feeling not unlike the Biblical story of the feeding of the 5,000.  I was hoping I would have enough that truly fit the kids.  I need not have worried.

It all worked out.

I was glad no one walked in on me as I sat at that desk with tear filled eyes.  Thankful that I didn't have to explain why I was dabbing my eyes with a kleenex or the look on my face, one of undying love for 19 children who evidently needed me to come and be their teacher this year.  I never knew they existed before June of this past summer.  They never realized that I was here either.  One thing always remains for sure.

God has this way of working everything out.
He brought me to this place called the Big Pasture.  
It was meant for me to come here and when destiny calls,  I have learned that you really need to answer.
And so I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment