Thursday, September 1, 2016

~September~

Welcome to the first day of September, 2016!
Our God is good, today and always!

I can't even imagine just how fast the first 8 months of the year flew by us.  The dance of the seasons is fixing to change soon, with summer bowing out to the beautiful season of Autumn as it arrives in all of its color and splendor.  It's been a long and hot summer here on the plains of Texas and to be right honest, I'm ready for it to take a rest for awhile.  The older I have gotten, the more that really hot weather doesn't appeal to me.  I can't believe I am saying that, but for sure it is true.

September is one of those months that holds so many memories for me but I guess when you are fast approaching age 61, you have been around long enough for just about all the months of the year to be memory filled.  I'm thankful for the remembrances even though they aren't all good ones.  Those that weren't so pleasant just remind me of two things.

I have lived.
I have loved.

My mom has been gone now for soon to be 9 years and that thought is mind boggling to me. She celebrated her 87th birthday on September 12, 2007 from her room at the nursing home in Hutchinson, Kansas.  I didn't know what to get her that year as a gift.  There's only so much that a person can keep in a tiny room like she had.  Besides that, she had long ago given away most of her possessions.  I wanted to do something, so I bought a small purple mum plant to put on her desk there.  She seemed to love it and watched it grow for several days.  

About a week after her birthday, Mom called me on the phone and said that I should come and take it home now.  She wanted for me to plant it in my own garden, the garden that she herself once had.  So I did.

Nearly two weeks to the day after her final birthday here on earth, Mom passed away.  All of us sat there at her bedside in the very early morning hours of September 25, 2007 and watched her take her last breath. When it was over, what a blessing it was.  No more pain, nor anxiety, nor being fearful of breathing would come to her.  If you have ever sat in the company of someone as they were departing this realm and going on to the next, you will know the feeling of angels being all around you.  That's what I felt that night.  

I was in the company of God's angels.

My mom always dreaded certain days of the year coming around.  She remembered without fail the November 4th death of my sister in a car accident that happened in 1969.  She never failed to recall that November 3rd was our niece Kimberly's date of death.  If someone close to her had died, she would forever recollect it in her mind and her heart.  Mom loved people like that.  

And I do too.

Had she lived a little while longer, Mom would have been here to celebrate her 96th birthday coming up in just a few days now.  Instead, she's going to have a great party in a place of no tears or sadness.  The guests that will be there are those she missed so much while still here in this place we call our temporary home.  What a lovely time it shall be!

Welcome to September everyone!
Enjoy the good life that you have been given.
It's what I want for all of you.  It's what my mom would have wanted for you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment