Sunday, October 29, 2017

~time and the DNA test will tell~

     I don't believe that I've ever treated my saliva more reverently than I did yesterday as I collected enough to provide a DNA sample to send off in an effort to find out more about my family history.  Using the kit that Mike purchased for my 62nd birthday this week, I carefully read the instructions at least a couple of times before I even broke open the seal on the collecting equipment.  I didn't want to make a mistake, partly because of the expense involved and partly because I wanted everything to be right.  

     I was actually kind of amazed at just how much spit was needed in order to collect the sufficient amount for testing.  It took me about 5 good attempts to make the saliva level rise to the bottom of the black wiggly line.  Each time I spit, I had a strange feeling as if every ancestor that I ever had was watching over me to be sure I did it right.  By the time the bubbles had settled down, it was time to add the stabilizing mixture.  I felt a bit nervous because it seemed difficult to tighten down the cap enough for the mixture to be released.  You would have thought I was a brain surgeon doing a lifesaving procedure or something by the way that I stared down that cap with my steely eyes.  Just when I thought I had totally messed it up, the most amazing thing happened.

     My saliva turned blue. 

     I tightened the cap as securely as possible, slipped it into the collection bag, and then placed it into the box.  After sealing it up for the trip to the mailbox, I just stood there and held it in my hands for a moment.  I wondered what I might find out when the results come back some time around the Christmas holidays.  Would I be in for a surprise like some folks are?  Would my prediction of being 100% European come to light?  One thing is for sure.

     Time and the DNA test will tell.




Elizabeth Burch Brown, the daughter of a Revolutionary War soldier, was my great-grandmother and her blood runs through me.  


                                These two kids each provided me with part of who I am.  



                        And so who am I and where did I come from?  I'm fixing to find out.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment