Saturday, February 9, 2013

For the very least of things, I give thanks tonight

Greetings everyone from Colorado's western slopes.  This will probably be one of those days that will go down in the history books for me as one to be remembered.  Rest assured that this "flatlander" received a valuable lesson in Rocky Mountain driving conditions today and I'm glad that the end result of the day wasn't as bad as it might have been.

It's night time here now and even though earlier today I had been on the way back home to Kansas, I surely am glad to be safe and well, tucked inside of my friend Mike's warm house.  Ice Age is playing on TV right now~kind of appropriate for the weather and climate of several places in the United States right now.  There has been snow falling intermittently here for the past couple of hours but for now, not much is coming down from the heavens above.

Early this morning, after checking the deteriorating conditions up on Monarch Pass, I made the decision to make a "run" for it and try to head back home to Kansas a day early.  I knew coming here that there was an outside chance that something could go "south" with the weather.  As I came over the pass yesterday, the sky was a beautifully crystal clear blue with just a few white puffy clouds in the sky.  The contrails from jets overhead had starting making interesting designs overhead.  Highway 50 couldn't have been more dry and cleared off so it was hard to imagine what it would be like this morning, just about 18 hours later.  I was soon to find out, the hard way.

When I pulled out this morning from Mike's house, here in Montrose, the car was packed up with the essentials that I needed.  I'd read the advisory page on the National Weather Service's site and so blankets, water, food, cell phone were at the ready.  I topped of my gas tank last night, remembering my late father's admonishment to NEVER let my gas go below the halfway mark.  It was a little sad to look back at Mike at the doorway watching me go, but I held up 3 fingers and smiled to signify that I'd be back in 3 weeks.  More on that later.

I kind of knew that I was in trouble by the time I got to the end of the driveway.  I couldn't see the tops of the mountains and realized that was probably not the best of signs.  So I said a quick prayer asking God to guide me safely back and if not, then to just take me on  to Heaven right away.  Now I know that sounds kind of sad but the truth is, it's what helped me to have the courage to even take out today.  I had faith that no matter what happened to me, I'd be ok and so off I went.  

The first ten miles were tolerable, with bits of snow and some ice on Highway 50 and although I wasn't a "lead foot",  I could at least go about 40 mph.  The next 18 miles were a "not so much" kind of moment and every mile I drove, I became more anxious about whether or not I would be able to make it even to Gunnison, let alone home.  After passing Cerro Summit at about the 16 mile mark, I realized it was time to make a decision as to whether or not to turn around.  And actually it really wasn't a question of whether to do it or not.  Rather, it was a question of "where?"

It's always amazing to me how things happen in life and this morning was no exception.  Having gone down this same road just a day earlier, I realized that places to turn around on the mountain go by the names "Slim and None".  So finally in my desperation I said "Hey, I could use some help here God.  Any places to turn around?"  And as the "Good Book" says, "Ask Peggy, and you shall receive" because right in front of me just ahead on the road was the little igloo that houses the road clearing equipment for the area.  

It was a great chance to turn around...too dang bad that I didn't realize that I was going into the ditch area first.  (wrong plan)  Before I knew it, my car was plowing head first into a place that I really didn't want to be in.  And as "Miller's Uncanny Luck" would have it, I was about as stuck as you can be and surely up that "proverbial creek" without even close to a paddle.  What seemed like an eternity but really was only about 15 minutes, I tried my best to get out of trouble.  I wracked my brain, trying to remember what my father had told me about getting myself out of being stuck in snow.  Sorry to admit, I couldn't recall one thing.  The more I tried, the worse it became and because the cell phone service in that area is NONE, I knew I was on my own.  It was a very sobering "wake up" call.  I was going nowhere fast and absolutely had no plan as to what to do.  One thing for sure I knew, I was not going to leave my vehicle, no matter what.  So I waited.

Out of the blue, a 4 wheel drive pick up came by and immediately stopped and the lesson I learned was one that from time to time, I have to reminded of.  There were two men in the truck and one of my first thoughts was that they must have saw the Kansas tags on the Honda and realized it was just some crazy flatlander who didn't have a clue on earth how to drive in snow on the mountains.  My next thought was that if I were to have met those two guys under other circumstances that I might have been afraid of them.  But you know when you are stuck in a ditch with snow up to your eyeballs, then what else can you do?  I had to trust them and thankfully I did.  With their help, I was able to get out of the ditch and somehow back on the road and headed back to where I should have stayed in the first place this morning.  And so tonight, here I sit safe and sound.  To those two men, I am most beholden.

Knowing full well that everything happens for a reason, I'm glad that I ended up staying here today.  I ended up having a great day and had the chance to meet and spend time with a very nice lady, one of Mike's dear friends and now one of mine as well.  Her name is Kit and she lives in a beautiful assisted living facility in town.  Here we are earlier today after a WalMart shopping journey and lunch out at noon.



I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed getting the chance to spend some time with Kit this day.  My mom passed on in 2007 and I still miss her now going on 6 years later.  Enjoying a couple of hours with someone else's "mom" was good medicine for me on this snowy Saturday in Colorado.  When I said good-bye to Kit this evening, she thanked me for helping her today.  Little did she know that she helped me much  more than I could have ever helped her today.  I look forward to seeing her again when I return.

And ok, speaking of returning~The time has come for me to make a change in life and I know that it will be a change for the very good.  My plans are to move here permanently when school is out in May.  For me, it's the chance to push life's "reset button" and move on into what I know is going to be a very nice future.  You need not worry about me in the least my friends and family.  I will be in the best of hands.  Luckily for me, Colorado and Kansas are next door neighbours on the map and I will be able to return for a visit whenever I can.  And as for this fellow, Mike Renfro, well trust me on this one friends, you would all approve.  I have been blessed dear ones and I thank God every day that even in the later years of life, we can indeed be very happy.  Good night everyone~peaceful sleep and the best of dreams to you all.  I am happy, at peace with life, and ready to go on.  This has truly been a great day to be alive in~May the same be said for you all tonight.  Love you guys, one and all!


Mike with "Sally" the Australian blue heeler~she lives with Kit at the assisted living facility and is loved by all there.  Mike and Sally are true friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment