Thursday, January 9, 2014

The power of the human touch re-revisited

A good Thursday morning everyone out there and greetings from a place that is pretty much far away from anyone who might be reading this.  It's the very early morning hours here along the Western Slopes and I just peeked outside to see if the predicted snowfall arrived yet and the verdict is in, it has not.  The sky is mostly clear and our temperature is hovering at 21 degrees.  It used to be that would seem too cold, but given the extraordinarily freezing temperatures most of the rest of the nation endured last week, I'm going to call our weather "ok" for now.  WINTER~

Today will mark the third day back at school for us this week after our over 2 weeks worth of Christmas vacation.  How nice it has been to be back among the "18" and all of the rest of the kids at school.  I am blessed, very blessed to be able to be a teacher at Olathe Elementary.  I will say over and over again until my last breath in this life, that teaching is a most honorable profession.  My life in education, well over 36 years now, has enabled me to be a part of the lives of hundreds of students all the way from my initial days of teaching back in Haven, Kansas to here in Olathe, Colorado.  When I started out I had no idea that I would stick with it this long but here I am today still at it.  I'm pretty sure there are worse things that I could have chosen.  Yep, I'm pretty sure about that.

I was rereading one of the posts that I made last January about this time and it made me smile in my heart to remember the reason that I wrote it.  It was about what I like to refer to as the "power of the human touch" and how it affected me in 2011 when I lived for about 9 months with one of the worst busted up arms that I could have ever imagined.  I was touched, literally one day by a tiny little girl at school who ended up becoming my dear friend for that year.  I'm reposting it below if you would care so to read.  She is a special little one in my life.

Friends, I hope today that you have the chance to provide the power of the human touch to those around you.  It might be your smile, a wave of the hand, a hug or a kind word to someone.  And hey, it surely doesn't have to be someone you know.  Actually giving that "human touch" to total strangers is pretty dang rewarding.  I pray that all of you are well wherever you might be this morning.  Many of you have suffered through some harsh winter weather.  Do not give up hope!  My good friend Dennis Ulrey, back in the Flint Hills of Manhattan, KS, has turned ahead his calendar one month in order to help facilitate the swifter arrival of the season we all love around these parts~SPRING.  He's just that kind of guy, always thinking of the other person :)

Take care all, be safe and well, always at peace with life.  Love you friends and family, all.

Monday, January 7, 2013

The need for the "human touch" revisited~

So very many times as I have written in this blog, nearly 500 postings in all now, I have mentioned this thing called the power of the "human touch".  I have felt it quite often when I needed it the very most in life or upon those days when things seemed to be at their lowest point.  The "human touch" was what happened when the little girl, shown below with me, reached her little four-year old fingers up and massaged "old lefty's" bruised, swollen and battered fingers just a few weeks after my accident in 2011.  Her warm soft skin against my crippled fingers was the most soothing balm I can ever imagine and she was there at a time that I really needed someone, heck ANYONE, to affirm "old lefty's" worth in being touched once more.  The beautiful thing was that little girl didn't even know what she was doing for me.  It was done in heartfelt innocence and I dare to say that she saved me from myself on that warm, late summer day.


                                                  My dear friend, little Aaniyah~

Today was the first day back at school for our district here in Hutchinson.  How wonderful it was to see all those smiling faces come through the doorways to the gym as they ate their breakfast together and met up with their friends for the first time in two weeks.  You know, I knew that I had missed them, but I never really realized just how much.  Well that is, at least until this day.  Perhaps that is because I had grown used to them being around all the time and just like most all else in this life of ours, the things that are close to us...well, we just take them for granted.  It's only during a time of separation, or just plain doing without, that we really see just how much they mean to us.  And friends, really I gotta say...those kids, all more than 230+ of them, mean the world to me.  Not sure what I would do without them.

All things considered, this first day back was pretty good.  I didn't sleep so well last night and as I tossed and turned from about midnight to 3 a.m., I had plenty of time to think of those kids and the rest of life while I was at it.  By the time my alarm clock went off at 4:30, I knew that I was in big trouble with only 4 1/2 hours of sleep "under my belt" and a very full day waiting for me at school.  As a teacher, it's the kind of night's rest that can turn into a real nightmare during the course of the school day.    I was pleasantly surprised at how the day turned out, in spite of  how little sleep I ended up getting.

People all around me, from little kindergarten kids right on up to adults showered me with the "power of the human touch".  Steve, our school's custodian, helped me take down the Christmas tree in the front lobby and made "short order" out of  a job that would have taken me forever to do on my own.  My friend Brenda always gives me the most beautiful smile every morning as we work together in the gym to make sure the kids get their breakfast at 7:15 each morning.  Today was no exception.  Her smile helped to get my day off on the right track.  My friend Diana helped me set up the hole punch to fit my papers that go in the student record books of each of the nearly 50 4H members from our school.  I had worked for several hours over the week end just trying to set it up right and sadly came up short every single time.  Wow-it's that "power of the human touch" thing.  I was greeted warmly by my colleagues who each seemed happy to return to school as well.  Their friendly voices and kind gestures throughout the day, helped me to realize that I'd more than likely make it, even if I did look like a "walking zombie", what ever THAT should look like.

And then, well then there's the kids~the very reason why I came out of retirement 3 years ago to return to the classroom once more.  I don't know what it is about kids but they have this uncanny knack of doing just the right thing at just the right time in my day and once again, how innocently it is done.  At breakfast duty I felt a little person come up behind me and put their little arms around my waist in a "I'm sure glad to see you again, Mrs. Miller" kind of hug. I turned around to find a little kindergarten boy proudly showing me that he could STILL read the name on his breakfast card even though he had been out of school for over 2 weeks.  My dear tiny friend from the second grade, Jasmine wandered up to see me before getting her breakfast.  When I asked her if she had "half of a hug" she could spare "old Mrs. Miller", she obliged by giving me not just a half of one but rather, a full fledged "I love you teacher" kind of one.  All day long their outpourings of the "human touch" were witnessed to me...a smile when we crossed paths in the hallways, a cute little "hello" as they stood in line outside my door waiting to go to recess, a return visit to my door way at the end of the day by a third-grader just wanting to see if I was doing ok.  Heck, I cannot wait until tomorrow to go back for a whole lot more :)

The darkness has arrived now in our part of the world, south central Kansas.  I'm on the way to Haven in just a bit to take care of some things I need to do there.  By the time I get back home, bedtime will soon arrive.  As tired and sleepy as I am as I write this blog, I'm hoping there will be absolutely no need to lie awake in bed for 3 hours tonight.  Kinda glad that I got the extra sleep over break because it looks like had to dip into "that" reservoir in the wee early morning hours myself.  I hope and pray you are all well.  May you be the recipients of the "power of the human touch " as well each day my friends and remember "blessed be those who give as well as those who receive it."  Good night everyone-pleasant dreams and sleep for you all.



She didn't see a person whose arm was all crippled and busted up.  Rather, she saw a person who looked like she could use a little bit of love.  God's blessings to you little Aaniya January.  Mrs. Miller, "teacher", loves you.



No comments:

Post a Comment