Monday, March 24, 2014

upon being thankful for life

"Friends, I will remember you, think of you and pray for you.  When another day is through, I'll still be friends with you."  The words of the late John Denver~

Good morning dear friends and family from here along the Western Slopes in a place so very far away from where I have spent the last five days, my old home in Kansas.  It's the early morning hours and I am up and about, drinking cup of coffee number 2 of many I am afraid.  The journey yesterday traveling back home here to south western Colorado was a long one but I made it, safe and sound.  God provided passage for me in both the going and the coming back, with very little to worry about along the way.  611 miles one way is a far piece to travel but I learned early on last year that if I want or need to return to the Midwest then there is only one way to do it.  Old Monarch Mountain stood stately and tall, over 11,000 feet's worth and the roads around it were cleared and easy to traverse.  I paused for a moment yesterday and asked someone to take my photo at a couple of spots at the summit.  There was still snow and plenty of it by the way but the roads are generally speaking very well maintained.



Hey, not going to say it was a tropical paradise there on the top in fact, it was pretty dang chilly.  All around me, skiers were loading up their vehicles after having spent the weekend going up and down the slopes.  Everyone was happy and smiling, having their own choice of winter fun.  I've never tried skiing and I'm guessing I never will yet I admire the prowess of those who do so well at it.  I had given some thought to learning how to snowshoe this winter at the Black Canyon but never actually got around to it.  Perhaps next year I shall try so to do.

There was so much to be accomplished during this return to Kansas last week and I wish I could say I had finished it all, but that is not the case.  I took care of some business things that needed to be done, made lists of what is yet to finish, packed the car to point of "critical mass", and was thankful that at least I had done this much.  I saw family and friends, visited some of my favorite places back in Reno and Harvey Counties, drank at least four diet vanilla Dr. Peppers from Bogey's on 17th Street and made a lot of beautiful memories to store up in my heart.  I received many blessings while back there and I am thankful for each of them, for the least and the greatest of them.  More later on those.

It's time to get going now and ready myself for a day back at school.  I have been thinking of the "18" and missing them all the while.  I have had a wonderful sub who has covered my classes when the return to Kansas has been necessary this year and she took great care of them for me.  As a teacher, I have the utmost in respect for anyone who can step in and take care of another teacher's class.  I am beholden to her for so doing.  It will be interesting to hear their stories of all that has happened since I have been gone.  I'm sure that I will learn a lot today! 

I'm back as I promised I would be and ready to begin this Monday, the 24th day of March in the year 2014.  The way I figure it, God must have a special plan for me this day and I'm setting out to find out what that is.  Friends and family back in Kansas, thanks for the great time and the heart full of memories.  Dear ones here in Colorado, it's good to be back amongst you once again.  You know, I say it often but it is surely so true.  This is a great day to be alive in and if you think that this one is great, just wait until tomorrow because it will prove to be EVEN better.  Have a great day everyone out there and take care of yourselves.  Thanks for being my friends, always!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment