Wednesday, April 30, 2014

~revisiting the plate spinner~

A very good morning to you friends and family from our house, here along the Pacific side of the great Continental Divide.  It's the last day of April and so very hard to imagine that we are soon going to find ourselves finished with school for the year and sending our students and ourselves home for summer vacation.  The last part of school is a very busy and sometimes chaotic time for all concerned.  To all of my dear friends in Kansas, Colorado, and all other points in between who are involved daily in the teaching and nurturing of our children, I send you this message.

"Don't give up.  Encourage one another in everything.  Choose to do what is the most important and accept the fact that if you cannot get to everything, it's going to be "ok". 
You know dear friends, that message works not only for those of us in education but for anyone, anywhere who are facing a multitude of things on our "to do" lists this very day.  Not only do we all have "plates" that are full to overflowing, we are "spinning" a heck of a lot of them at any given moment in time.  You are not alone in this and neither am I.

One of the very earliest of blog posts that I wrote back in the first month of this online diary of thoughts and ideas for a Kansas girl's "bucket list", I wrote an entry called "Less like the plate spinner" and am reposting it below for you to read if you would care so to do.  My advice to myself and to anyone that read it, now nearly 3 years ago, still has merit this day.  If you are reading this, then I'm going to guess that there is a very good chance that you take care of others far better than you remember to take care of yourselves.  It's human nature and since we are all human.....well, you get the picture. 

Take good care of yourselves my dear ones and even if you don't stop spinning all of the plates you have going in life right now, maybe you could choose a couple?  Love you guys, all of you and from a place far away, I'm thinking of you.  I am alive and well, surviving and FINALLY thriving in the great American West.   It's a great feeling to be able to acknowledge that.  I used to have a plate filled with "extreme homesickness for Kansas".  The day I found peace in washing that one up and storing it emptied into the cupboard was the day that life took a change for the better here.  The cupboard door was opened by a lot of great people that I'll be seeing just up the road in a bit.  Have a great Wednesday everyone~



A very early blog post~from the 21st day of June 2011


Less like the "plate spinner"
Got to say, right from the start, that unless you are around my age or older, this post will probably seem like something from another strange world.  The truth be told, it WAS another world and they called it the "1960's".  


It was a time when families had one, yes I said one, TV and chances are (really good chances) that it was black and white.  And if most families were like my family, then every Sunday evening about 7 p.m. it was tuned to a variety show called, "The Ed Sullivan Show."  Long before the days of internet, cell phones, and modern technology, people relied on Ed Sullivan to entertain them with a 60 minute program of a variety of acts. We lived on a farm and I remember dad and my brother hurrying with the milking chores in order that they could finish in time to watch it.  I was just a little kid, but I remember very well the 2 acts that I always hoped to see.


One of them was this guy who trained chimpanzees to do funny tricks.  He would always bring 3 or 4 chimps with him to the show.  He'd dress them up like little kids and sometimes they'd ride a trike, jump rope, dance with him, or any number of other cute things.  I loved them so much and I begged for two "seasons" of Ed Sullivan in a row for my mom and dad to buy me one for a pet.  They always said "no".  One Christmas I cried enough that they finally gave me a stuffed one for a gift.  That did the trick.  


 This is me with a "replacement" chimp that my son gave me for Christmas last year.  The kids heard my story about a bazillion times about how I wish I had a chimp like that one again.  That was a surprise.  :)




My other favorite act was the "plate spinning" guy and he's the reason I'm posting this on my "Miller Bucket List" site this morning.  The plate spinning guy was pretty cool-and oh could he spin those plates!  The whole object of his act was to see how many plates he could get to spin at one time without any of the plates slowing down and then crashing to the floor.  He was talented and I can remember just being glued to the tv set waiting to see what would happen.  Sometimes he'd even add things, like a piece of fruit or something, to the plate, just to offset the balance a bit.  But he never failed!  I know he probably only had less than 50 plates going at one time  but to me, an 8-year old farm kid, looking on...it seemed like 500.


As I've gotten older and hopefully wiser with the years, I realize just how much my life has been like the plate spinner's act.  I was never happy with just a couple of plates spinning....I had to have 100 going at once.  My family and friends will confirm the fact that Peggy Miller has to stay busy doing something, and the more somethings the better.  I've been multi-tasking most of my 55 years....long before anyone ever coined the usage of that phrase.  And here's where the "bucket list" comes in......


The life of a plate spinner is pretty busy, tiring, confusing, and even very lonely at times.  You can find yourself doing things that don't really matter at all to anyone, especially to you, the plate spinner.  I guess you do it because it's all you know how to do.  Believe it or not, having a bucket list to work on has slowed me down a bit.  It has forced me to think about what is really the most important to me in this life.  I have started to remember some of the very little things that we often overlook each day because we are all just so dang busy!  Even this online blog has enabled me to pause for a moment or two each day and reflect back on what has happened to me. Thus, bucket lists are not only our desires for things to do before we die, but also a reminder of what we should no longer waste our time upon.


Are you a fellow "plate spinner"?  If so, take a look at them.  Are  any of them wobbling right now?  How many of them are plates that you could get rid of, could actually allow to fall and break?  As your friend, may I tell you that it's ok to let one go, hey even two of them.  Please don't wait as long as I did to think about a bucket list and those things that are most meaningful to you in life.  I have started to find that life is so much easier if you only set the table for a "few at a time."




He made it look SO easy!  Good thing our plates at home were made from melamine.  I'm sure that one of the 7 of us kids must have tried to do this at one time or another.  Sorry about that Mom!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment