Friday, November 28, 2014

~upon fulfilling my promise~

I fulfilled the promise that I made to my doctor, several friends and family members, and to myself a couple of days ago.  I went over to the local hospital here in Montrose and kept the appointment I made for my mammogram.  Since that particular type of diagnostic testing is recommended for women on an annual basis, I guess you could say that I was behind just a bit.  I'd rather not say how far behind I was in scheduling one.  It was not all that painful and was done by a very caring and knowledgable person.  When I was finished, I asked her if she too remembered to come each year for her own. The answer she gave to me was very straightforward and most sincere.

"Yes.  I always get mine done.  I see too much bad stuff each day as I do my job.  I'd be a fool not to."

So having said all of that, I am glad that mine is done.  Annually means that in 2015 another one will be scheduled.  Just like the kind woman who did my procedure, I'd really be a fool not to.

As much as I dreaded the going just this past Wednesday morning, a really nice thing did happen to me along the way.  Prior to going back to the procedure room, I had to check in with an office worker who took all of my insurance information.  She asked me the usual questions, like address and name of employer.  When she got to the part about the address for my school, I had to admit that I really didn't know.  Then she asked for the school's phone number and I too came up blank on that question.  I was starting to feel pretty "inadequate" in responding to all of her queries so in order to save "face" I came up with the standard answer I always give to people around here when I don't know as much about the area as others do.

"I just moved here from Kansas last year but you would think that I would at least know the address and phone number of my school.  Sorry about that!  I promise to know them the next time."

When she heard me say that, her hands left the computer keyboard and she looked at me with the strangest of looks.  She asked me what part of Kansas I was from and when I told her that it was a place called "Hutchinson", a huge smile came upon her face and her eyes began to twinkle.

"I'm from Wichita!", she told me and in my heart it was as if I had found another "new best friend".  

We talked for a few minutes as she was waiting for the forms to print out.  I shared with her that we were going home for the Christmas holidays and that we're going to stay in Hutchinson but are planning to make several journeys over to Wichita while we were there.  When I spoke of wanting to go the Spice Merchant and Gander Mountain to shop, she told me that she loved to shop in those two stores and how much she missed it.  I mentioned how I hoped to be able to eat at "The Artichoke" while we were there and honestly, I thought tears may have come to her eyes.  She held her hand over her heart and told me how I lucky I was to get to go there.  She misses Kansas as much as I do some days.

The strangest thing happened as we were reminiscing there together, that new found "Kansas" friend and I.  As I looked at her expression and listened to the sound of her kind voice, I realized that  I was really seeing myself.  It was a reminder to me of just how far I have come, both geographically and personally.  Meeting this woman, who normally I would not have even carried on any kind of personal conversation with, was an unexpected blessing that cold November morning.  I left there with the reminder that there are plenty of good people here in the southwestern part of Colorado who know quite well the place where I come from.  For the record, that's a really nice feeling to have.

I've lived here along the Western Slopes now for over 18 months and I've met all kinds of folks with Kansas connections.  My dentist here has land in Stafford County and he often goes there to hunt and fish for vacations.  Good friends at school have close family members that live all over the Sunflower State.  I've come across people out here who have made their homes in the Kansas City area as well as small towns in Kansas like Lindsborg, Andale, and even South Hutchinson.  I have actually come across Reno and Sedgwick County tags in parking lots here and if I can, I try to find the people who are driving those vehicles.  It never ceases to amaze me of how small this great big world of ours really is these days and the truth would be that it gets smaller each and every day.

22 sleeps more and I will be back there again and even though we are staying much longer this time, I am sure that the days will go by quickly.  I am thankful for my Kansas roots because they enabled me to become the person that I am this day.  And just for the record, I like that person.

"Walking off" at least a part of the Thanksgiving Day meal we enjoyed yesterday.  What a beautiful day it was here in the Rocky Mountains.  Hoping that the weather will hold out for our return trip home in the weeks ahead.


The break of day just now over Silverjack Mountain.  God's handiwork at its finest of hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment