Sunday, June 12, 2016

~Did I mention that being a teacher has been worth it?~

I ran into one of the kids last night when we were shopping at Walmart for some things Mike needed for the store.  We were wandering aimlessly throughout the store, as often times we seem to do, when I heard a voice come from behind me.

"Hey there Mrs. Renfro!" 

I turned around to see a young man who had been one of my 5th grade students last year.  It was amazing to see him and to think that in less than 3 weeks time, he had already grown an inch or more. Leastwise, that is how it surely seemed.  I gave him a big hug and asked him the questions I always ask kids in the summer.

"How are you doing?  Are you having fun?  Staying out of trouble?"

With a cute grin on his already suntanned face, he responded back that he was doing great and staying so busy that he didn't have time to get into trouble.  It was nice to see him and I told him so.  We talked for a moment there near the front of the store and before I said farewell to him, I reminded him of one thing.

"You remember that I won't be there to teach you next year.  I want you to do your best always for whoever your new teacher is."

He promised me that he would.

Children have been a huge part of my life and now at age 60, I realize that my years in the classroom are soon to be winding down.  When that time comes, I know that I will sorely miss the chances to meet them all on that first day of school and take them through to the last day in May.  I am grateful for the 38 years that I have had so far and wish deep within my heart to have two more years before I say that it is done.  So far, God's plan hasn't been shown to me just yet but I still wait in faith that something good will happen.  Each morning I pray for a school in nearby Oklahoma that could use a teacher like me.  If you are reading this, would you please say a prayer for me that I will soon learn where it is that I should go?  I know God always has a plan for me but in my impatience, I often times get anxious and worried.  Perhaps it has happened to you as well.

Right before the last days of school, I handed out note cards to some of my classes.  I asked them to leave me a message about the school year just completed and I promised that I would save them and read them midsummer.  I have to admit that I broke my promise, at least for one of the cards.  I was missing kids that very first week of school being out and as I was putting away my school stuff, I came across the bag that contained their messages.  So I pulled one out to read it before putting the rest away.

A tear came to my eye as I read the 6th grade scrawl of one of them.  The words that were written on it were priceless and are now forever etched in this old teacher's heart.

"Dear Mrs. Renfro, I'm  sorry you are going.  Thank you for putting up with all of us kids.  Not every teacher would do that.  You gave everyone a second chance and even a tenth one sometimes.  You taught us more than English. You taught us about life.  I will never forget you."

Being a teacher has been worth it.  
I have no fancy home with a swimming pool.
I will never take a vacation to a place far, far away.
My 401ks  are children who live in Kansas, Colorado, Texas and points far beyond.
Did I mention being a teacher was worth it?
You will never convince me otherwise.

One very important lesson that I have learned as a teacher is this.  There are a whole lot of "classrooms" out there to receive an education in.  We teachers would do well to remember that always.  Thanks Carson for teaching me about what it is like to show pigs on that Saturday morning, now so long ago.  You are a fine young man.


No comments:

Post a Comment