Saturday, May 20, 2017

~and if a picture~


If a picture is worth a thousand thousand words, then listen to this one.  If every picture indeed does tell a story, then the story this picture tells is worth listening to.

At day's end yesterday, I finally finished up with my classroom for the summer.  I wanted to make sure that everything was clean, neat, and ready to go for the first day of school come this August.  I only need 16 desks to begin next year with, so the extra 5 that I had were sent back to my neighbor, Mr. Cook's classroom.  It looked strange to see an array of 4 groups of 4.  The floors were swept and mopped, trash all removed, and counters left orderly.  Even my teacher desk was barren of anything that looked like anyone had ever been there.

I paused for a moment before I shut off the lights and locked the door for the summer recess and thought about just what had gone on in here for the past 9 months.  It took my breath away to remember the story of what the sight above really meant to me.  It tugged at my heart and made a little tear well up in my eye.  What a unique story and wonderful message this means to me on this, the morning after.

Once 21 children (at one time 22 of them) and their teacher spent their days together here.  From the early morning hours of 7:30 each day until the bus drove away at 2:50, we grew together as a classroom community of learners, family members, and friends.  Academically we grew stronger in reading and math, social studies and science, English and writing, and a host of other ways.  We gave our all for state assessments and any other assessment that came our way. It wasn't easy at times and as a matter of fact, some of them were downright rough.  Yet, we seemed to make it.  Our classroom operated on one word with regards to all the testing and retesting we seemed to have to do.  And the word of the day was this.

Integrity

I told the kids that no matter what, I would be proud of them, even if they failed at something, as long as they tried their very best and remembered to do it honestly.  State assessments are just one single test and that computer in Oklahoma City that graded their work would never know the real person whose test was in their system.  No one would know how hard they truly did work this year but that would not matter because those who did realize their efforts were the only ones that mattered anyways.  I stand by that statement to the end.

If there was an audio version of our classroom on any given day, pretty much the word kind of/sort of noisy at times would be a really appropriate descriptor.  I smile as I type these words and realize how much I will miss that noise that came from the voices of so many sweet and dear kids.  For the record, we worked through that phase.  Some battles are never worth the fight and so we made compromises along the way.  I think the operative phrase in this would be one for all teachers to remember with regards to their students.

Try meeting them in the middle for a change.

Relationships were being built with one another every day.  With so many different kids and personalities to go along with them, sometimes we had moments that presented a few challenges but we got through those as well.  We all, teacher included, grew and changed.  Once I likened this situation to having 21 kids for a sleep over every single day of the year and all in the confines of one tiny space.  It pretty much was what it was like.

Now it is Saturday and the very first day of summer vacation for me.  Not sure what I will do but I'm sure to find something.  If the summer goes half as fast as this past school year did, then I better get a move on and quit trading daylight for dark.  

Life has been so good to me.  Big Pasture Elementary at Randlett, Oklahoma has been one part of that good life.  Happy Summer boys and girls!


We stopped for a moment on the last day of school to take this photo together.  We were missing Dani and Jeffrey that day.  These kids have been my world for the past 9 months.  Even on our worst of days, they knew for sure that their teacher loved them.  I promised them that I would never, ever trade them for anything in the whole wide world.  They were precious and will remain so to me.  I love them each!

No comments:

Post a Comment