Friday, July 28, 2017

~and now all I need are the children~

I never grow tired of setting up a new classroom, no matter where it has been in this great land of ours.  Once, for a very long time, it was in the south central part of Kansas in a place I had called my "home" forever and a long day.  Then it was in the Rocky Mountains of southwestern Colorado in a school that ended up saving me from feeling homesick, loneliness and despair.  Still yet it was in a little town called Petrolia, Texas where the folks were kind, good, and drank a whole lot of sweet tea. Last year it was in a little community called Randlett, Oklahoma in a school that reminded me of the school I used to attend as a kid back home in Kansas.

This year things have changed.

I've spent the past nearly 3 weeks moving my belongings into my second grade classroom in a different school than I was last year.  I have unpacked my boxes, cleaned out cupboards and closets, rearranged things to better suit my needs, and wondered about just what this year would bring.  What will these little ones be like, from a town not all that far from our home here in Burkburnett?  Time will tell.

Soon I will know.

Even though it becomes a little bit harder each year to climb a ladder, push desks around, or tote a heavy box, I still am young in spirit and heart.  I love what I am doing and amazed yet that I could possibly be starting my 40th year in education.  I never looked for it to be that way. In the beginning, I was sure that 25 years would be a plenty and if I made it to 30 well then that would be pretty miraculous.  Here I am now looking square in the eyes of 4 decades and I wonder how many more years I'd like to try this.

A whole lot of other people are wondering the same thing too.

After 32 years in education in Kansas, I retired in May of 2010.  It took me all of 3 months to be ready to return to the classroom once again.  Plain and simple, I quit too soon.  Retirement looked interesting and lucrative enough but it really wasn't for me.  The 7 years that have passed have allowed me a second chance of sorts, to finish what I had not yet completed.  Little did I know, there were plenty of children out there who were waiting for a teacher just like me to come along.  

How glad I am that I was there for them.

In Olathe, Colorado there were two classes.  One of fourth graders the first year and the other of first graders in my second year.  I always said that I felt God sent me there to help them all but a couple of them in particular.  Without going into names, I found those special kids within the first days of being their teacher.  I loved them all and hold a special place deep in my heart for each of them.  In Petrolia, Texas I served one year as an English/Language Arts teacher for students in grades 4-6.  Once again, I felt compelled to go there and to find out just who it was that needed me for that year.  I found several children and for that, I feel most grateful.  Last year I entered into the state of Oklahoma to teach at a small school just up the way on I-44 called Big Pasture.  A class of 3rd graders needed someone to teach them and amazing as it always turns out, I learned just who needed me to join them as well.  In each of those situations, I have been more than blessed.  Little did any of those kids or families know, but I needed them all even far more than they needed me.

I hope that I served them well.

I don't know what lies ahead but in 3 weeks time, I will soon be fixing to find out.  As I was completing the arrangement of our classroom today, I couldn't help but to hear their voices.  I could almost imagine what they might tell me or how they might sound.  I smiled at the thought of having one more chance to make a difference somewhere.  That's what I will be trying to do.

Make a difference.

I used to say that if I could make it to 40 years as an educator, then that would be enough for me.  Now I am looking at it in a different light.  I hope and pray that the good Lord will see fit for me to stay longer and perhaps teach several more years.  At nearly age 62, I feel pretty healthy and have no serious medical issues going on. (Pardon me while I knock on wood for a moment.)  I am motivated to be a part of this thing called "school" and I still look forward to each day that comes my way.  There is still so much of that thing called "teacher" in me and I figure what a waste it would be to stop now.  

We shall see.

For whatever time remains for me on this place called "Earth", I hope that I can continue to be a voice and an advocate for children everywhere.  It has been my pleasure and my reward for such a long time.  

So hey.
Why quit now?


                                   The room is ready and now all I need is the children.
This group of ESL kids were to be my last ones ever to teach.  Funny how things work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment