Wednesday, August 16, 2017

~and so today I danced with the Chickasaw People~

In the nearly 62 years of life that I have enjoyed on this planet, I've had my share of regrets. You know how it goes.  There are things that you do that you end up wishing you had not as well as things you wish you would have tried, but never did.  I think it's the way this thing called "life" goes, and by the way that's not just for me.  It's for you as well.

Last year, Mike and I traveled to the town of Sulphur to visit the Chickasaw Cultural Center. It was a Saturday morning kind of trip, one that we'd been looking forward to for some time.  We enjoyed it immensely as we moved from building to building, learning about the Native American people known as the Chickasaw Tribe.  While we were there, we went into the auditorium to be entertained and educated in the ways of the Chickasaw dance.  It was really amazing to hear their story and to realize just how proud they were of their heritage.  Towards the end of their program, they did one final dance and invited anyone from the audience to come and join them as "friends" to the Chickasaw people.  

I remember thinking at the time how much fun it might be to do that.  I looked at Mike and could tell by the look on his face that he preferred not to go down on the stage with the others. Admittedly, I really didn't have the courage to join them all by myself and so I sat in my seat near the top row and watched the others who had decided to participate.  When it was over, I ended up kind of kicking myself for not giving it a try and thought perhaps there would never be another chance to do so again.

I was wrong.
Today I got my chance.

This year I am teaching the second grade in a wonderful Oklahoma district that is just 14 miles up the road to the north and across the Red River from our home here in Burkburnett.  This morning all of the teachers from the elementary and the high school went on a field trip together, sans students, to visit the Chickasaw Cultural Center.  The patrons of the Grandfield, Oklahoma School District have a very wise superintendent who sees the value in team building activities for his staff.  The arrangements were made and by 7:30 this morning we had all boarded the school bus headed for Sulphur.  

And so there I was, the shortest kid on the bus once again.  It's ok.  After 62 years, I'm used to it.

I thought about the trip and what we would do and see while were there.  I knew that if we went to see the dance in the auditorium that they would more than likely call up anyone who wanted to partake in the dance of friendship.  I determined on that 2 hour bus ride over that I was not going to miss my chance this time.  When they called for volunteers, they wouldn't have to ask this girl twice.  Sure enough, mid way through the program they sent out the call from the stage for volunteers to join them.  It took me about 5 seconds to make up my mind.

So today I danced with the Chickasaw People and you know what?
It was fun!

I wasn't the only Grandfield staff member to give it a try, and for that I was glad.  It was a wonderful experience to be a part of the culture of another group of people.  Sure, it felt a little awkward sometimes as new things often do.  But the longer we remained on stage, the easier it became.  I thought it would be scary, but the crazy thing was this.

It wasn't scary at all.

Sometimes when faced with new situations in life, it takes some courage to move forward and embrace those moments that we hope not to regret in the end.  Switching schools this year and moving on to Grandfield was one of those moments.  When the school year ended in May, I was happy with my former position at another school very nearby.  I was perfectly content to stay put.

Then a new opportunity was presented to me and it was one that I knew I needed to take.  I felt in my heart that I would have sorely regretted it if I had not.  It was a little scary on our first day back Monday of this week.  So many new people and the faces of so many strangers looked back at me when I first walked in the room.  For a moment I felt like the very shy little 9-year old girl that I used to be.  I wasn't sure how I would ever make friends with any of them.  I found myself wondering....

"Peggy, what were you thinking?  A new school? Why didn't you just stay put?  At least you knew people."

Yet as we settled in, I once again felt that feeling of assuredness that everything would be ok. Every single person in that room of strangers welcomed me warmly.  All of them were glad that I came to be a part of their team. They are good folks who all share the same goal, one of teaching and nurturing some of the greatest kids around.   I know that I made the right decision to take a position there, and it's a place I hope to spend my remaining years in teaching at.  

I'll more than likely never be a professional Native American dancer.  I made mistakes as I moved along with the rest of the group on the stage, yet none of that matters.  What does matter is this.

I didn't pass up the chance this time and for that I have one thing.
No regret.




             I loved seeing the beautiful and colorful clothing of the Chickasaw People.  


No comments:

Post a Comment