Friday, June 29, 2012

56-years old and STILL learning


A couple of three lessons learned by this "old person" on her bike today and I go by the motto, "It's ok to make a mistake once, just don't make the same one twice."  I can live with that~


Remembered the valuable lesson about climbing up hills...once you start, you'd better be dang sure you can keep pedalling all the way up it.  If you don't, if you second-guess yourself for just one brief moment in time and cease to pedal,  well then ....it's not so good.  It wasn't a pretty sight, but I did it!  I made it up that stupid hill :)


Riding in the early morning hours of a summer day in June is smart, but riding in the early evening hours remains to be one of the silliest choices a person can make.  I did both today and learned quickly what I already knew....Why would someone choose to "fry their brains" on a bike when the temperature is still at 100+ degrees?  A second 10-mile ride quickly turned into a a 5-mile one.  All the while I was thinking, "Man, which takes less brain cells  to choose, jumping a curb or making a ride in high heat and humidity?"  It was a toss-up~neither are a smart choice for me.  LOL


And last but certainly never least, stay hydrated for crying out loud!  And since I was going to be taking along plenty of liquid to drink....hey, why not use the water bottle that fits perfectly into the cage?  I made the huge mistake of putting my Wendy's (and if anyone from the Wendy's Corporation should happen to read this, yes...I frequent your local establishment often) large size cup into the bottle holder and by the time I had ridden the first mile, I realized what a distraction it was to me as the rider.  It didn't fit correctly, hanging out too far and many times I would knock into as I was pedalling.  I have two perfectly good bottles that were made for my bike and to top it off, they provide a good of insulation for the drink inside.  By the time I was able to pitch the Wendy's cup in the trash, my ice tea was more reminiscent of luke warm water.  Not too appetizing and certainly nothing that would make me want to ask for a "refill" on this very warm day in the Great Plains state of Kansas.  But other than those things, I actually did ok and I hold fast and tight to the thought that says, "I can do this!" It's just gonna take some time.


On a parting note, a word of "thanks" to all of the drivers that I encounter each and every time I am out riding my bike.  Those of you who ride bikes, or motorcycles for that matter, will know exactly what I mean when I say this.  I'm very grateful to the drivers who see that I am there, who don't crowd me as I ride alongside them on the street, who allow me the time I need to safely make a turn and remain "upright" as I do it.  It used to be that back in the "old days" (which would have been any day prior to August 4th of last year) that I made a habit of uttering the phrase, "What do you think I am, invisible?" to any driver that would cut me off in traffic or act as if I wasn't even there.  Now I know for sure that in order to remain safe on the road that I cannot assume that any one out there sees me and for all intents and purposes, I AM invisible to them.  My job is to be a responsible cyclist who follows the rules of the road just like any other moving vehicle should be doing.  Smart riders who want to make it home in the proverbial "one piece" know how wise it is to practice safe cycling.  And because I come across many of you who are reading this post as I am on streets of Hutchinson during the day, please friends...if you EVER see me doing something that you know isn't safe while I'm riding, call me out on it.  Remember, it's ok to make a mistake once, but after that...I oughta know better.


The end to this last Friday in June of the year 2012 is drawing to a close.  The temperature outdoors here in Reno County, south central Kansas is now at 96 degrees BUT it only feels like 94 degrees.  Hey, things are looking up friends!  Have a great weekend upcoming and stay well, be at peace with life.  Good night friends!




The end of a very long 10-mile ride that got cut in half within the first 5 minutes!  Back in the "old days", prior to August 4th of last year, I often times would use the lame, lame, and even MORE lame excuse that a helmet was just too hot to wear.  Besides that, my hair would always get too sweaty and I was sure that I'd be fine (and stupid) without it.  But thanks to my dear friend and former first student from the "land of long ago and so very, very far away", my dear Amy Brittain Pratt, I put it on all the time now.  And Amy, each time I wear it I remember to utter a word of thanks to you for the times you gently reminded me. I promised you my friend that I would never go without it again...and I try always to keep my word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment