Monday, July 2, 2012

Upon the scarcity of water~

The first day of July~2012 has come and gone.  I'm not even sure what the high temperature was yesterday, for once I didn't pay any attention to it.  Maybe it's just me but after awhile (and I cannot believe I'm saying this), I just kind of get used to summertime temperatures.  It's dry here but at least some parts of our state got some much needed moisture over the weekend.  To those folks, I'm glad for you!   We all need it and I rejoice when SOMEONE at least does.  And even as parched as we sometimes feel here in Reno County, Kansas...we count our blessings every time we read of the horrible wild fires that so often roar through places just like our neighbour to the west, Colorado.  In the least of things we should always give our thanks.


Seems as though our local newspaper, The Hutchinson News, has been filled with stories of the dry, hot weather and the effects it has on everything from the need to provide fans for those who have no way to cool their homes, to being careful with fireworks this week, and sooner or later, the need to be self-rationing with our water usage.  This weekend's  Saturday paper ran an interesting front page article in it that caught my attention right away.  It had to do with the lack of water running in the Arkansas River as it goes here through our city.  The story was of extreme interest to me because of a "Bucket List" wish I've had on the Miller Bucket List since, well, for a very long time.


"To canoe down the Ark River on an Indian-summer day" occupies spot #6 on my list.  You know, as I think of it, this wish has been there just about as long as travelling to Maine and seeing a lighthouse had been.  And for a "used to be", kind of/sort of water phobic, you'd think I'd be dreaming up something else to do.  But I didn't.


Many years ago, I went on my first, last, and only canoe excursion with some friends.  It was late October of 1985 at a time when things in my life were looking kind of sad and bleak. I was newly divorced, the "now" single mom of a much loved little 5-year old boy and life seemed a little overwhelming to me.  Two wonderful friends, acquaintances for nearly all of my life, decided they were going to cheer me up by inviting me to go along to canoe with them.  Of course, I thought of a bajillion excuses why that wouldn't be a good idea~"I can't swim and I'm afraid of water."  So they made sure I had a life jacket. "Well, I've never done it before.  I wouldn't know what to do."  Not to worry, they would do all the work and I could just enjoy the ride.  So since none of those feeble reasons that I could come up with to get out of going with them worked out for me, off we went!


If I recall correctly, we put in near South Hutchinson, around the area of the Woody Seat Freeway and headed the south easterly direction towards Haven.  I don't remember how long it took for the journey or for that matter, all of the details.  Well, actually yeah, I do remember one of my good friends yelling at me to quit moving around so much...some minor detail about tipping the canoe over or me falling out into the water and drowning or something.  But no major problems to  have reported.  In what seemed such a very short time, the trip was over.  I was alive and well, no one landed in the water, and the canoe for the most part, did just what canoes are supposed to do~float downstream and arrive at the destination in the most desirable position possible-STILL UPRIGHT.


It was an uneventful trip, certainly as those kinds of things go but the memories that I took away with me that day have stayed with me now these past 27 years.  It was an Indian summer day, you know the kind of weather when the temperatures are unseasonably warm for autumn.   The sky was a beautiful blue with those little white puffy clouds floating in the sky.  There was a little breeze and some of the most beautiful colours I'd ever noticed were in the trees' changing leaves.  For some reason, I especially loved the golden yellow leaves and as I gazed at them as we travelled by, all of the troubles and problems that I had been encountering as of late seemed to disappear for that moment.  And when the ride ended, really much too soon, I came away at "peace" for the first time in many months.  Friends, I never forgot that feeling~what a gift, a blessing to my troubled heart and soul.


So as the years passed by and life changed again, and again, and yet even more, I yearned to take one more journey down the Ark River to remember that wonderful moment in time when nature helped to heal my wounded spirit.  Thus, its #6 spot on the Miller Bucket List.


But for as much as I wish to take the journey, there's a little problem and it's shown in the photo below, taken yesterday afternoon from the Frank Hart Crossing vantage point.  The Arkansas River is a little on the "skinny" side right now and that dear friends is not a good thing to see.




Used to be, in years past, the Arkansas River flowed so full that folks around these parts swam in it, fished in it, canoed downstream in it, and when winter's freezing temperatures came, they learned to ice skate there.  No more.  Because of drought conditions for the past two years in a row, the river that used to provide so much enjoyment now barely flows.  Each day as I ride my bike over the Frank Hart Crossing into South Hutchinson, I stop to take a quick look at it and I swear sometimes I believe that I can see it shrinking on a daily basis.


As I read the article, I learned a lot about the current state of the "Ark" and its current state today, July 2, 2012, is not so good.   In fact, it causes great concern and worry for those who watch it.  The article did a great of job of explaining how the drought conditions that we have experienced here in Kansas have impacted the size and flow of what used to be a "mighty" river.  After reading Saturday's story, I learned that at normal capacity, the Arkansas River would generally be flowing at a rate of 475 cubic feet per second.  Measured only 3 days ago now, it barely flows at 27 cubic feet per second.  The massive sandbars, now covered with weedy overgrowth, are a visual testament of the dry climate we have experienced in recent years. It is with sadness that I even write these words.  I've lived here all of my life, save the 3 months in Valley Center, and I can never remember it like this.  I am afraid things may well get worse.


 My original plan, upon beginning this blog last year, was to be able to canoe in the fall that year and fulfill wish #6.  How foolish a thought that was~and unless a modern day miracle happens for us all, then I don't look at going down it this autumn either.  But I'm not giving up on it and somehow, some day, I am going to canoe again there.  And although many of my good friends have suggested that there is plenty of water elsewhere to try this, well friends, it just wouldn't be the same.  My desire is to return to the very spot that, in my opinion (not worth a lot to others, but everything to me :) "saved me" from myself.  Such a nice memory and if I should NEVER do it again, well at least I did it once.


Friends, I have a question for you...how much water will you or your family members use today?  One Internet site states that the average person in the United States uses 80-100 gallons of water each day...and as you may have imagined, flushing the toilet uses the greatest amount of water per person.  Blessed are we who live here in this country for world-wide, latest estimates show, according to Water.org, that 884 million people worldwide lack access to a clean water supply.  It should make us all pause to think about whether or not our car was really dirty enough to go to the car wash or why we never can seem to break the habit of letting the water continue to run from the faucet while we brush our teeth each day.  I readily admit that I have wasted my share of the planet's water and then some.  My remaining years here are dwindling down now but I have 3 children who may well be raising families of their own in the future.  25 years from now, 50 years from now....what will the future hold as far as the substantial availability of potable water for my family and yours?  The prospects are a little scary, as well they should be.  


For now, I'm putting Bucket List item #6 on "hold", still hoping for the time in the future when I can make a peaceful passage down the Arkansas River once again.  As in everything else in my life, I know that if it's part of "the plan" it will happen for me and if it does then I'm just going to sit "really still" in that middle seat and enjoy the ride!  Have a good day friends and family....You are the best and I thank you for being a part of my life.  








And friends, here is my "shameless plug" for a great place to visit if you are in the Wichita area any time in the future.  The Water Center, located at 101 East Pawnee, is a great example of taking something very bad and turning it into something very good.  The acronym "WATER" stands for the Wichita Area Treatment, Education and Remediation Center and for very good reason, I must say.


I have a couple of good friends who could explain the background to the development of the Water Center so much better than I can.  But in "layman's" terms, the facility is "home" to the treatment center for the polluted water associated with the "Gilbert-Mosley Project".  Back in the early 1990's, during what would be considered "normal" testing for groundwater, it was found that the area's water had been contaminated after years of abuse from activities by local industry.  The city of Wichita took steps to ensure that the water would be cleaned up and thus, the Water Center was born.  Since it's grand opening in October of 2003, countless visitors have come to witness what happens when positive things come from bad situations.  The educational building is a great site to tour and you teachers who might be reading this, hey check it out.  They have "science" trunks that are available to  be loaned out to anyone to use in their classroom.  I used the water trunk last year and plan to use the geology one in the fall.  You cannot beat the admission price (free) and while you are there, be sure to enjoy walking along the nature trails that have been carved from the site commonly referred to as Herman Hill Park.  And don't worry, hasn't been a riot at Herman Hill since the late 70's.  Young folks, don't worry...it's an "older adult" thing.  You were born at the wrong time :)











No comments:

Post a Comment