Thursday, July 26, 2012

Their time is nearly at hand~

Earlier this week, I wrote a blog post that I called "Tough love for a mother:101" and in it I described the "practice drill" that my son Grahame recently  put me through as I attempted to install a new printer for my computer.  Even though for the last 3 years or so, Grahame has taken care of all my "technology" related needs, he suggested that perhaps this time I should do it without him.  And while he smiled and remained relatively quiet throughout the whole ordeal, I struggled with understanding the direction booklet right from the "get go".  Finally at long last, I was able to figure the stupid thing out and in under an hour (surely a miracle in my books), the printer was up and running.  


All this week, Grahame has been sorting through his stuff, packing what is needed for his journey to move to the state of Arizona this coming weekend, and hauling to the basement that which he can find no use for right now.  And in between the packing of boxes and saying his "good byes" to old friends here, my son has been attempting to teach me everything I will need to know without him here any longer.  It's been an experience, to say the very least.


You know, I had never cooked on our propane powered grill before and friends we've had it for well over a year now.  It was always Grahame who fired it up, put the burgers and brats on and cleaned up the mess afterwards.  But on Tuesday night of this week, things took a turn~I had this strange feeling it would happen and once again, true to form, Grahame said that he thought I needed to learn how to run the grill on my own.  So in the summer of my 57th year, I turned on a propane tank for the very first time in my life.  And oh man, was that pathetically scary.  The vision of me somehow blowing up my part of the world, just because I (an inexperienced griller) dared to turn the dial on , flashed before my eyes.  But, hey, it didn't happen...now I know that's crazy and at this point in time, I am thinking that I'm more than likely the only person of my age in this whole entire United States of America who never had the experience before.  Well, I guess it can't be said of me now LOL.


Sometime within the next 36 hours, I STILL have to learn how to air up my bike tires correctly, run the weed eater and get the "hang" of using the two remote controls to run the tv. Tonight, sadly, we'll watch (for the last time for a while) together, "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" on Comedy Central.  As usual, about the time that Jon Stewart interviews his special guest, my eyes will be closed in sleep and Grahame will gently remind me, "Mom are you awake?  The Daily Show is on."  And I know that is his endearing way of saying to me that it's time to get up and head to  bed.  Friends, how much I will miss that time in my day, and a lump in my throat as I write these words to you.  


Grahame is the last "to leave the nest" and although I always knew the day would come, it is still bittersweet in its arrival.  I survived my oldest son's (Ricky) leaving as well as their little sister, Ursela.  I am sure that my death certificate will not list the cause of death as "She died because the "nest" was empty."   Over time you just get used to it I suppose and after awhile it gets better. 


Many of you may be facing the same thing in the days and weeks ahead as children leave for college or the service, get married or find lives and jobs elsewhere.  With sadness in  my heart, I remember the many friends here on Facebook and elsewhere, whose children have died before they ever got to see Grahame's ripe old age of nearly 24.  Today as I've felt a little sad knowing that Saturday will arrive too quickly, I remember to thank God to have 3 children who are alive and well. 


Oh boy, Grahame just found the air pump so I gotta get out there on that porch and have a crash course in airing up bike tires correctly.  He has faith in me that I can do it, so I've got to show him that he's right.  His mom is quite capable of airing up a couple of Schwalbe bike tires.  Grahame knows it...I just gotta prove it to myself.  :)


Have a good evening out there Facebook family and friends...Love your families and friends, please take care of yourselves and one another.  Good Night!


  




                                   Two of the very best friends ever,
                                           Grahame and Lindsay
These two are heading your way Tucson, Arizona.  Take good care of them for us!




Grahame is one lucky kid.  Here he is with his "two mothers".  Linda, thanks for watching out for not only your Lindsay, but for my Grahame as well.  You know, it's not easy to raise kids alone...we surely need the help of one another.  For everything you did for him, I say a heartfelt word of thanks my dear friend.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment