Tuesday, July 10, 2012

They PAY me for doing this...Wow!

To think, just two years ago, I "officially" retired from being a teacher.  I was sure that there was something else in life that was waiting for me to do that didn't involve students, grading papers and cold winter noon recess duties.  After 5 miserable months of being away from the classroom, I was blessed to be asked to return and friends, I never looked back.  


It's summertime now, but school is still happening here in Hutchinson, Kansas~U.S.D. 308.  For the next 3 weeks, a group of students and teachers are participating in the "Summer Scholars" program offered for the past several years.  I'm privileged to be a part of that group.  This is my group of "lively" soon to be third graders this morning just before we left for lunch and the rest of day doing whatever we usually do in the summertime.


One of the cool things about teaching in the summertime is the opportunity to try a few new things as well as being "cooperating" teachers with other educators from within the district.  I learn all kinds of new ideas, different teaching strategies, and make connections with children that I would normally not be teaching.  And oh, I almost forgot...IT'S FUN!  A LOT OF FUN!


I believe it to be true what I heard someone once say, "Once you are a teacher, then you are ALWAYS a teacher."  Teaching gets into your blood and something about it drives you to learn more and more.  I always laugh when I hear kids say that as an adult (especially as a teacher) that I should know everything!  Wait a minute, let me tell you what I learned today.  


Ahem, did you guys already know that when an octopus is being chased by a predator, that as a last resort it can rip one of its arms off of its body and throw it out into the water?  Its enemies, upon seeing it, believe it to be a snake out there wriggling about.  I didn't know and I learned that this morning as we read one of our stories about life in the ocean.  One of the kids gave me a look that said "How can you be a teacher and not know THAT?"  My guess is that I was asleep during 7th grade science class when Lester Schrag was teaching us all that concept.  Dennis Ulrey, I was really counting on you my dear friend to "bring me up to speed" on that one.  What happened?


If going to school in the summer would have been THIS fun when I was a kid, I'd have begged my mom and dad to sign me up.  As it was, back in the olden days, you couldn't wait for the clock to move along to the appointed hour that would let you  out of there and back home again.  As a twelve-year old, I grew tired of hearing the late and sainted Mrs. Van Buren's voice droning on and on about how to diagram a sentence.  This morning, we were there for 3 1/2 hours but I swear, it only seemed like one.  If time goes that quickly, then you know that you are having a great time.  I believe we were~just ask any one of those children pictured above.  They will likely reiterate the same sentiment. 


For a kid who grew up with absolutely no intention on earth to become a teacher, I have surely found a job, a profession that I truly love.  May all of you be blessed with jobs that are fulfilling to you as well.  I've said many times that being a teacher won't bring a you a huge paycheck each month and if you are in it for the money, you probably better be looking for something different.  Yet as a teacher, the "pay off" comes in different ways....My "rewards" are sitting all around me in the photo above.  That's one of those job "benefits" that I'd hate to lose sight of.  Those kids do a good job of keeping me "young" and that's all right with me.


Have a good afternoon family and friends....if you could read this, be sure to say thank you to one of your teachers.






No comments:

Post a Comment