Saturday, July 28, 2012

A reason for this~a part of the plan

Dear friends~I have always maintained that keeping this blog going was a form of therapy for me as I faced the challenges, trials, tribulations and sometimes sad times of life.  Having suffered with depression from time to time, I recognize quite easily the situations and feelings for me that are not healthy to keep inside.  Maybe you are like that too?  I used to be too afraid to admit it to people, but now I know that it's much healthier to acknowledge that certain things in life do get you down, rather than to continue to stuff them deep inside of you with little hope of feeling better.  I have taken medicine and sought counseling, but the greatest thing I have discovered in this world  to beat my "arch enemy", depression, is to sit at this keyboard and pound on these computer keys until I feel better.  I know that must sound weird to some but for me, it seems to work most every time.


I just said "see you in Tucson" to my son, Grahame Hemman.  He pulled out about 8:30 this morning heading west on 50 Highway towards a new life in the desert south west.  I knew the day was coming all along and as much as you try to prepare yourself for the last one of the kids to "leave the nest", it still isn't easy.  And you know, I talk a "big talk" and say that this is why we have children, because we want them to grow into adults and head out on their own into this world of ours.  But the truth is, sometimes you don't really want them to....sometimes, you just want them to stay little so you can protect them and keep them safe all the time.  What a crazy idea that is!  But I'm guilty of it perhaps just like many of you are.


Grahame surely did follow former Kansas governor, Bill Graves, business motto of "pack 'em high and tight!"  That little Honda Civic was packed and repacked about a dozen times in order that he could fit everything in there.  He took only what he deemed necessary to survive for the first few months.  Grahame's math and problem solving skills (not inherited from his mom), were put to use as he stowed away gear in every conceivable space available.  Truly there was no wasted space and certainly nothing was packed that wouldn't provide some useful purpose to him on this journey.  His adventure of walking a month on the Appalachian Trail last year helped to prepare him for this day.  I don't have anything to fear for him~he knows what he is doing and will make it just fine.


It was tough this morning to see him go.  About 15 minutes before I knew he would pull out, I had to head out into the backyard for a bit to "get my composure" together.  Didn't want to fall apart in front of him~oh yeah, that didn't work out so good.  As I came around to the front porch again, I pulled him close to me and gave him a hug and said "It's getting close to time, isn't it boy?"  And he loaded the last of his things up, secured his bike to the back of the car, hugged his beloved cat Oblio and was off.  Even through tears that say "I love you and will miss you son.", I rejoice in the fact that he is alive and well in this world.  And you know, really, I sent him off on behalf of all the folks whose children never got the chance to make it out the door and maybe, just maybe, their lives will be touched this day by children just like my Grahame.  I pray for that to happen, that he would be a blessing to not only me but to others in his life.  He'll be fine and guess what?  So will his mom...LOL


Time to get the day going...going to stay busy and hey, maybe even take a nap.  Oh yeah, and one other thing.  I got up so early this morning, wide awake at 3:30.  Decided not to toss and turn so after getting up, I drove out to Wal Mart to buy paper towels and toilet paper.  (I know, no life!)  It would have been just your ordinary, ho-hum, run of the mill trip to the store.  But God knew I was hurting inside already at the thought of Grahame's leaving today.  He provided~  


As I came around the frozen food aisle, I heard someone say, "Hey don't I know you?"  I turned around to look, and there sure enough, was a young man that I knew from many years ago.  It was little Jimmy, although it appears as though he's not so little anymore, towering over me by at least a foot or more.  He had been one of my first grade students, now 13 years ago when I first came to Hutch to teach.  Jimmy explained that he was working 3rd shift at Wal Mart and going to school at our local community college.  When I said I was shocked he remembered me, he told me that I looked just like I always did.  (which made me think, did I look THIS old now 13 years back?)  


We spoke only briefly, but in that 5 minute span of time, I reconnected with a young man who told me that I had made a difference in his life.  Wow, there's one of those "bonus checks" that I keep telling you teachers get from time to time.  And when I pulled away from the store and headed back towards home, I thanked God for the gift of seeing that young man once again and lifting part of the weight off of my heart this morning.


Tucson, Arizona~Grahame Hemman and his best friend in the world, Lindsay Maudlin, are heading your way.  You can expect good things from them both.  Their families love them very much....we thank you for taking good care of them for us.




Grahame, pausing a moment before taking out this morning.  Aunt Sherry, your little car will serve him well.  I know that I don't have to worry about him.  The same God that watches over him here in Hutchinson, Kansas surely knows where he is in Tucson, Arizona.  


Grahame and his friend Obie~Those two have had some GREAT times together!  At Christmas time, Oblio gets to join him in Arizona and live his "life of Riley" there.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment