Wednesday, August 22, 2012

~because he knew it was the right thing to do

I love being a teacher for a whole lot of reasons!   Perhaps at the top of the list is because it's such a pleasure to see kids learn, not only academic lessons but "life's lessons" as well.  I have thought long and hard about telling you of a heart-warming experience I had at school yesterday.  I always try to be careful as I write about my students because, especially where kids are concerned, I never wish to identify them or to divulge too much information about them.  But after thinking about it and tossing and turning all night as I pretended to sleep, I decided to go ahead.  May your hearts be warmed as mine was as you read this.

I'm a Title I teacher of both reading and math here at school.  My job is that of an interventionist~I help those students who, for one reason or another, are struggling with a certain concept being taught.  For the most part, I see groups of students that are very small in number with 4 or 5 usually the maximum.  Occasionally, I see kids on a "one one one" basis and actually, I like those times about the best.  My groups are very "fluid" and that's a GOOD thing.  Thus, just because a student is in one of my math groups this month, doesn't mean that they will be there next month.  And oh yeah, I have to say this as well~ As a charter member of the "I hate math club-5th grade class 1965", I empathize with their struggles.  Math is not always easy and for that matter, sometimes reading can present a challenge.  Yet, at our school, the teachers and staff work together to do everything that we can to help our kids.  It's called "cooperative learning" and I sure "as the day is long" know that there is no way I could my job all alone.   That "village" it takes?  Well, you'll find it at our school.  From our teachers, principal and paras, custodial and kitchen staff, the secretaries, volunteers and basically everyone else in between, EVERY adult plays an important part in helping children to do their best at school each day.  

This week I am doing individual testing on students throughout the building, in particular right now, a test that shows their math "number sense".  The results of the test can provide lots of insight into what kids know and what they are still lacking.  The administration of it takes a bit of time but it is time well worth it.  The data received from it will help tremendously in placement of students into the individual classroom groups.  It was during the giving of such a test yesterday that I was a witness to the most beautiful thing that a kid can do and I am getting goose bumps right now as I type these words to you.

I won't mention his name, his teacher or even what grade he is in.  So as you read this blog post, then substitute in the name of any child you'd like to see this be the case for...your son or daughter, granddaughter or grandson, niece or nephew, or perhaps even the little kid down the block that you watch over without them even knowing it.  You've heard of  the "everyman" idea?  Well, what say we just call this "everykid" one?

It was at the beginning of the test, the part where I say "Ok, I am going to say a series of numbers that follow a pattern and I need you to give me the next 5 numbers that would follow.", when it happened.  He looked at me and asked the question, "Mrs. Miller, you and I are friends, right?"  And that's how it all started.  I could tell by the look on his face that he had "bigger fish to fry" than telling me that the next five numbers would be 290, 291, 292, 293 and 294.  Something was going on with him and he was about to fill me in on it.

In a sincere effort not to tell you the particulars of the conversation that followed, I'd like to just say this to you.  The problem that he was having, something weighing like a "ton of bricks" on his conscience was that he had not told the truth to another adult within the school yesterday and it was "eating away" at him, so much that he wanted to talk about it and so we did.

After I listened to him tell me what happened, I asked him why he told me about this.  Wouldn't it have been easier to just stay quiet about it?  I'll never forget what he responded back~"I don't feel good about what I did but I don't know what to do."  So we talked further and I asked him a couple of other things, like did he want to "make it right" and if so, how could he do it?  We came up with a plan and proceeded to follow through with it.  And the end result was that he found the adult he had lied to and set the record "straight".  He was willing to accept the consequences and I believe it was because he knew it was the right thing to do.

I can't recall when an incident at school regarding a student's behaviour has made such an impact upon me.  I have thought about this since it happened yesterday and this is what I believe to be true~I was an "eyewitness" to a young boy as he grew "up" 12 inches in height yesterday.  His act, of realizing he was in the wrong and that he had dang sure better tell someone about it, earned my utmost respect of him.  Before I let him leave my classroom, I looked him straight in the eyes, gave him a big hug, told him that I was so proud of him and that I loved him very much.

It's soon to be time to head out the door for another day of school.  We plan to learn a lot together, students and adults alike.  And of course the main focus for today will be academics but there are plenty of "life's lessons" to be learned that are every bit as important as knowing how to tell the "author's purpose" in writing a story or how many different ways you can show the value of a number.  Gotta tell you this friends, THIS teacher is so thankful to have been a part of one of THOSE teachable moments.  

Have a good day friends and family.  It's Wednesday, the 22nd day of August in the year 2012.  It's a great day to be alive so don't waste one moment of it!





I know the face would appear "angelic" LOL, but I'm sure that this little kid told her own fair share of "untruths" growing up.  



From the 2005-06 school year~my class of third graders at Avenue A.  These little people are now in their "teen" years and their teacher, well she's a little older too!  The best job I could have ever hoped for~TEACHING.


No comments:

Post a Comment