Wednesday, August 8, 2012

So God had ANOTHER plan~

Good morning friends and family out there!  It's 4:48 in the "old" a.m. as I type this blog post today.  This morning I actually had to get up when the first alarm went off at 4:15 and not just hit the snooze and keep on dreaming.  It's "back to work" day for me and a whole lot of other employees for USD 308 here in Hutchinson.  And for a woman who thought she had "retired" 2 years ago, well I guess that's just about as good of evidence as any that someone else way greater than I would ever profess to be, is in charge of my life.  

I will never forget my birthday on October 26, 2009~the fall of my 54th year.  When I woke up that day I did so with the knowledge that I was getting to turn in my letter of retirement to the district.  I woke up even earlier on that day, if that's possible!  I waited outside the 5th Street Dillons' store here in Hutch to buy 2 dozen glazed donuts and deliver them to my friends and co-workers at Avenue A Elementary to enjoy for their mid-morning snack at school.  I was taking a personal day off from teaching.  Just as soon as the district office opened up, I'd made the plan to turn in my letter and then I'd be off to enjoy the day and get a "sneak peek" at what this thing that they called ~being retired~was really all about.

It looks dark outside because well, it still WAS!  I wasn't going to let any "grass grow under my feet" that day.  Thankfully my good friend and co-worker, Jerrine Bonham liked to get to school early too!  She was there to take my official "I am going to turn in my retirement letter today!" photo for me.

I spent the remainder of that school year making lots of memories that I would store in my "teacher's heart" forever.  I had visions of keeping a scrapbook that I'd sooner or later (hopefully MUCH later) haul with me to whatever long-term care facility I might live my remaining years at.  And when people came to visit me, I'd reach down alongside my recliner and pull it out to show all of the kids that I taught in my 32nd and LAST year of teaching.  The photos below show some of the memories I captured that final (LOL) year~

Ok, Ok, Ok....I've never been known for having a neat and tidy desk!  Organization can be highly over-rated.  Just ask anyone....  :) Fall of 2009

One of my very favorite photos that I have from that final year.  These 5 guys all have the same first name~Luis.  I thought it would be fun to have my picture taken with them.  When the photo was done, I sent them all back to class.  I was holding the littlest one (Luis from pre-k).  As we left to go back, I said to him "Come on Luis, let's get you back to your teacher."  I looked back and the other four were following me as well.  January of 2010

My brief "stint" as the tour guide for the mouth.  Couldn't really explain this one if you asked me to.  My dear friend and counselor at Avenue A, Chris Mason, got the really good job but I guess not everyone is called to be the "pathway to life".  :)  September of 2009


My heart is always warmed by the "wide-eyed" wonder of little children as they learn.  Their innocence is very special.  Here Mrs. King's little pre-k kids are watching the miracle of the birth of baby chicks.  God bless those littlest of kids, out of the "womb" for only 4 years and well on their way to learning about life.  Spring of 2010

I was afforded the privilege of working with a fine staff at Avenue A, a staff that always banded together for whatever cause might be at hand.  These 4 ladies were a tremendous help that "last spring" as we held a garage sale at school for a student who was dying of cancer.  Couldn't ask for better folks to have been with that year.  Gals, you are STILL my very good friends.

Perhaps one of the nicest "gifts" a teacher could receive upon retirement.  This is a former student of mine who looked me up at school on my last day to wish me well in retirement and thank me for what I had done as his teacher.  One of my very first students EVER, Mike Fazio.  He was part of a group of 4 students assigned to me during my very first year of teaching 8th grade math.   Yeah, yeah, yeah I know...ME teaching math?  I made it and so did they :)  To Amy, Mike, Marschell and John....they made me the teacher I became.  

Well, it's about time to get going all.  Not quite 5:30 and in a couple of hours it will be time to head on down to the Salthawk Activity Center for our first meeting of the year.  Since they frown on us showing up in pj's, guess it's time to get serious here!  I never dreamt, not even in my wildest dreams, that I would return to teaching after retiring in 2010.  That decision, in and of itself, is a WHOLE another story that should be saved for a different time.  

So today, August 8th of 2012 I will walk out the door to begin my 35th year as an educator.  It was definitely not in my plans but as I well know, my plans aren't always the way things work out.  I figure there must have been a reason, a student or two, perhaps even an adult or two who might have needed me to be there.  With faith, I'm returning. 

 You have heard me say time and time again that being a teacher is not a lucrative career as far as money is concerned.  I'm never going to have a huge bank account, no chance of me ever having to decide which island to vacation on in the summertime.  I still watch my pennies every month and make decisions on a daily basis as to what's the most needed thing I have to purchase.  Financially, just like you all, I have to be careful.  But I tell you this~teaching is a noble and good profession.  My monthly pay check may not reflect it, but Peggy Miller is one rich woman.  For every child-made card in my memory box, for any kid that has come back to me later in life and said "thank you for teaching me", for the parents and grandparents who say to any teacher "thank you for helping us, we needed you!", well I guess those are about the biggest bonus checks anyone could ask for.  I've been blessed~

Have a great day my friends and family, August 8, 2012, a great day to be alive in!  And if you could read this message, then a teacher taught you something!  Please find one today and say "thank you."

           My last group of ESL students to teach before I retired.  I loved them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment