Sunday, October 14, 2012

~same corner, another year~

If it is indeed true what they say, that "laughter is the best medicine", then I know 4 girls that ought to be feeling pretty dang healthy this morning.  I was blessed to enjoy that great benefit of health yesterday as I rejoined a group of friends, those of my "youth", to spend time together in our hometown of Haven, Kansas.  Here we are, shown below, and the GOOD news is~we didn't get in trouble together, not even ONCE~

One of my "Miller Bucket List" items has been to reconnect and meet often with my friends on Facebook and others as well.  This "motley" crew stopped in front of our own meeting up place, in front of Paul Grier's drugstore, smack dab in the center of downtown Haven, Ks.  I'd like you to meet them~Joyce Bennett, Toni (Kuntz) Hiebert and Annetta (Grandon) Hoffmann.  These 3 gals were members of Haven High School's class of 1972 and they celebrated with others their 40th year since graduating from high school.  Since I was an "underclassman", a member of the '73 bunch, I was honoured that they would allow one of the little kids to hang around with them yesterday, and for the rest of our lives as well.

I would tell you that our day together began on that corner yesterday afternoon as we sat to watch the annual Haven Fall Festival parade go by.  But really it started in Hutchinson, a couple of hours earlier as we all "banded" together to help do something very special.  See that kid up there in the picture, the girl with the white shirt on?  That's Toni, who about a year ago now, decided that she wanted to start a "bucket list" for herself too.  And the number one thing on her list of things to do before she "kicked the bucket" was to go skating again.  Yesterday, her wish came true and we were all there to witness it.  She invited us to come and join her.

When we all arrived at the skating rink at the appointed hour of 1:30, two of us made it REALLY clear that we were there only to cheer the others on, take photos to document the event, and of course be the "standby" designated drivers to the Hutch Hospital ER unit.  But the ones who were brave (I actually mean crazy, but I'm trying to be positive here) laced up their skates and headed out onto the rink.  Just prior to entering the facility they posed for a photo, looking more like happy-go-lucky teenagers rather than the grown ups they are.

Here they are, the "bucket list" girl, Toni, with her good friend from high school Annetta and Annetta's husband, Bruce.  They dug out their old skates from the closet at home and packed them into their car for the long journey from their home in Denver, Colorado in order to help their friend Toni realize her dream of skating once more.

We were laughing from the "get go", heck we were dying laughing before we even got in the door.  It was a Saturday and every little kid in Hutch and their brother who was having a birthday party seemed to be there with us.  One could only hope that when it was all over, no one got hurt~especially us!  The last words out of Toni's mouth as she readied herself to go, skates laced up, were "You know, if we fall it's really gonna hurt!"  And with that, she was off.  

The first lap around, Toni did indeed fall but the amazing thing is this, she got right back  up and just kept going.  When Annetta and Bruce joined her on the floor, the way became easier and isn't that the way it is in real life?  Life's road can be really difficult to maneuver down on your own, but when one friend extends their hand to another to help, the journey goes a whole lot smoother.  That's what happened for Toni on about her 3rd lap around.  She had lost her forward motion and actually had kinda gotten "stuck".  Annetta caught up with her and offered her hand in assistance.  Never mind that they BOTH about fell then (LOL).  The thought was clearly there and it was a joy for me to be a witness to that act of simple kindness.  That's what friends do~they help one another, no matter if you are on the skating rink for the first time in decades or you find yourself struggling with any of life's other bazillion trials.  What a blessing.

I believe I can speak for the group when I say that it was a good thing that we had limited time at the skating rink before we had to be at Haven for the parade at 3 in the afternoon.  As it was, everyone had a great time, no bones were broken and we were able to leave Hutchinson relatively unscathed from the experience.  Thankfully I remembered to "check in" Miller's uncanny bad luck and Murphy's Law, (second cousins twice removed now) at the door with the skate rental guy.  "Old Lefty" and I were perfectly safe and the worst thing that could have happened to me, being run over by an errant skater as they flew over the retaining wall, never happened.  It was a very much "laugh until you cry" moment and I thank God for it.

The parade was great and it felt so wonderful to be back home in downtown Haven together as a group, even if it was just for that short period of time.  All the usual parade entries were there~politicians, the high school band, new cars and old ones as well, floats from all of the clubs in town.  The clouds that had threatened all along to bring rain at about the time of the parade's start time of 3:00, parted about an hour before.  The sun shone and the people lining the streets of Kansas Avenue were happy and in the finest of spirits.  You really couldn't have asked for a nicer Kansas "Indian summer" day in mid-October.  

As usual, good times don't last forever and all too soon we parted company.  I drove back to my home in Hutchinson with the biggest smile on my face and every once in a while, I'd remember something ridiculously funny that had happened in the hours before and break out into laughter alone there in my car.  I wondered, "What would people think if they saw me doing that?"  If they could read my mind and see into  my heart, then they'd realize that I'd just been to the "doctor" for my annual prescription of having fun and laughter with 3 good friends.  You won't find that medical visit on my Blue Cross/Blue Shield explanation of benefits page.  The love and care of our friends, well that's FREELY given~no charge, no exclusion for existing conditions....you are accepted as you are and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, times a wasting.  In just a few short minutes we are all meeting for one last breakfast together before we all go our separate ways.  I had a great day yesterday, one that I hope to have again next year, same corner~same time.  If you are reading this, then you are my friend and I thank God for you each and every day.  I would be lost without you all.  May I do for you some day, what you all do for me without even thinking.

Have a great day, Sunday the 14th of October, 2012~a great day to be alive in, a great day to be a friend.


~Be sure to get your dose of laughter today.  You can lower your blood pressure, increase your memory skills, improve your state of alertness, defend against respiratory infections, increase your blood flow and the oxygenation of your blood, and if NOTHING else, it's just fun!


Way to go Toni!  I'm so proud of you for doing your very first item on the "Hiebert Bucket List".  Nothing can stop you now so get going on Item #2, what ever that may be.  Love you friends, one and all.



No comments:

Post a Comment