Friday, November 16, 2012

If you are able to read this, then be sure to thank a teacher~


The NEA (National Education Association) set aside the week of November 11-17 as "American Education Week", and today on the last "official day" of that celebration I have been remembering all of the fine teachers that I have had over the course of many years.  Although this cause for celebration is to honour all of the many public school teachers throughout the land, I would be more than remiss to not mention the fact that there are many private and home-school teachers who are doing a tremendous job with students as well.  For 35 years, I have been an educator of children and young adults.  I cannot imagine having a job that would have been of a higher calling.  And for me it all started out, long , long ago in the little, Harvey County town of Burrton, Kansas with a kindergarten teacher and a class of 30 children.  Her story is my story~


She had the most beautiful red fingernails with lipstick that always matched and the wonderful scent of drug store cologne was all about her.  Her dresses and shoes always coordinated perfectly and I can never recall a hair out of place.  Her name was Josephine Marmont, but to the kids in the 1960-61 kindergarten class of Burrton Grade School, she would always be known as "Miss Marmont".  Although it's been half of a century ago that she was my teacher, I still remember her as if it were yesterday and I will forever marvel at the way she taught us all.

In Miss Marmont's world there was no technology~no computers or "Smart Boards", no digital cameras or cell phones.  Heck, there wasn't even a white board to use a dry erase marker on.  Her "domain" was pretty simple and it involved an entire wall that was dedicated to the antiquated teaching tool formerly known as "the black board".  There was a piano, smack dab in the middle of the room, because in addition to being our kindergarten teacher she was the music teacher, art teacher, and PE teacher for the kindergarten kids as well.  She single-
handedly took care of 30 children all under the age of 6 without the assistance of an aide of any kind.  Jo Marmont was it~and for the start she gave me and my classmates, we should all be beholden.

Way back then, we learned our alphabet (big and little letters as we referred to them), the numbers MAYBE to 50, and how to write our names, well at least our first names.  My little friends and I learned how to sit still and listen to a story, how to take a nap when told, the joy of making a mess while finger painting, and how to use our best manners when it became time for our mid-day snack.  

I will always maintain that by far the best thing that I ever learned while under Miss Marmont's "charge" was to learn how to get along with everyone else.  Josephine Marmont was teaching "character education" long before it became the popular movement of today.  If we did something naughty, we were expected to be honest and admit it.  If we saw someone who was having a sad day, then we were admonished to make them our new "best friend".  And above all else, when it came to hurting someone's feelings.....well, that just wasn't tolerated.  I learned that the hard way when I refused to let Tommy Elmore be my partner one day as we were learning to do a strange dance called the "Virginia Reel".  It was an embarrassing moment for me, to be sure.  Yet, I learned the life lesson that states, "You best not exclude anyone else and let Miss Marmont catch you doing it."  And to Tommy Elmore, wherever he may have ended up, Peggy Scott FINALLY apologizes.  

You know, I never really set out in this life of mine to be an educator.  Actually, not even in my wildest dreams as an elementary, middle or high school student would I have imagined it.  But here I am, a now 57-year old teacher who came back out of "retirement" 3 years ago to see if I could make a difference somewhere in the life of a child. I have always told my students, those way back in my first year of teaching in 1979 as well as the ones I am teaching today in the year 2012 this one very important thing~

"If you forget everything else that you have ever learned from me~I hope you will always remember that I want you to grow up and treat everyone around you with respect and kindness, to be good to one another despite your differences.  That's what will make me happy for you."
              ~the "gospel" according to Mrs. Miller~

And the one thing I am sure of is this~ A now sainted woman named Josephine taught me that lesson as well.  See there Miss Marmont?  I really WAS paying attention!  The little girl that I "used" to be and the woman that I grew into...well, they both still love you very much.

Have a great Friday evening family and friends!  Peace for all of you in life.



Josephine Marmont and the kindergarten class of Burrton Grade School, 1960-61. We were "her" kids and she loved us.  Miss Marmont was the best "kid wrangler" I ever knew of!  There I am, front row to the right~She has her hand on my collar because she "loves me" not because I'm fidgeting around or anything.  That little guy on the front row, left~well, that's Tommy Elmore.  He probably would have been a great dance partner for the Virginia Reel but on that fateful day a long time ago, that little shy girl that I used to be wasn't having anything to do with it.  :)  Kids!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment