Tuesday, June 4, 2013

John Denver Matthew(with introduction)




As a kid growing up many years ago in the "land of long ago and far, far away", I became enchanted with the music of the late John Denver.  His songs about living in the Rocky Mountains were always so beautiful, so inspiring to young people like myself.  It was especially true for those of us in the "flatlands" as we imagined what it would be like to be high atop a mountain and gazing out at the scenic Colorado landscape. As you listened to his songs' lyrics, you could almost imagine the brilliance of the Aspen tree's leaves as autumn approached or the vision of an eagle's wings spread far apart.  What a talented singer and songwriter, what a magnificent human being and generous humanitarian John Denver really was.

How ironic it is that today as I sit at my home in the Rockies, I am thinking about this song.  It's a song that has always reminded me of my father and my home back in Kansas.  It's soon to be harvest time there in south central Kansas~my first one to miss in 57 years.  There is probably no better sight to behold in nature than a field of golden ripe Kansas Hard Red Winter wheat swaying in the wind.  I thank God to have grown up the daughter of a proud Kansas farmer and "wheat whacker".  What a gift, what a blessing that really was.  Have a good evening my friends~  Take care all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment